Milling English Oak

Essex arborist

I have an oak stem that's been lying in its current position for four years.

The stem measures as follows:

102cm Dia @ Above buttress flare

94cm Dia @ 1.5m

89cm Dia @ 3m

85cm Dia @ 5m

82cm Dia @ 7m

8.5m long (28')

I'm looking to mill using a Lucas Saw mill 8" cutting depth & width. Im looking to make a table around 18-20' long does anybody know where I can get design & cutting list for this sort of project?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was going to allow 1/2" oversize to allow for shrinkage and planning? ImageUploadedByArbtalk1374419964.478571.jpg.8fb0bd9bf16672dd7cca429609d1b16d.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1374419946.008570.jpg.5c0b978f6e1f45ca17a74f9c9b90cde7.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1374419931.402549.jpg.c85e53c037d455e321ea47e03d7d738e.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1374419907.490647.jpg.0866f83978d56a5b85bfd06bddd7230f.jpg

Unless your table is going to have a seriously thick, wide top, there is a lot more timber in that than you will get through for the one project.

You don't specify the thickness or width you want the top to be, or the style. Is this something sort of trestle-like, maybe 4' across the top? It's also important to consider how you are going to move it. Make it too chunky and at 20' long you are going to need a forklift!

If it was mine, I would look to mill it slightly differently. I would take the length off that you are looking to use as the top, then take the centre slab out with an Alaskan, thick enough to make three boards. I would then split this in half and mill each of these blocks with a bandsaw into three boards, around a foot wide. This would give enough 'top' material to make effectively quartersawn boards for a top up to 6' wide if they are all perfect, 4' if preferred. I reckon 8" width boards would look a bit out of scale for something that length.

Being quartersawn, the boards would be pretty stable and shouldn't cup. This would allow them to be used relatively thin, about an inch finished thickness. This would make the top liftable, just, by two people.

A half inch allowance on an inch board would be fine.

You could then cut the shorter length for rails, bars, legs etc. This would leave the rest of the decent length to be cut into full length boards for something else.

I would also not touch it until October otherwise the risk of surface checking ruining it is very high.

Alec

I agree with Alec to an extent, however when milling the boards for the top,make sure there at least afoot too long,preferably two,to allow for end cracking.

Are you hiring in the lucas? maybe find out if he has the slabbing atatchment for it,then you could couldtake dimensional lumber off the top for legs, rails,braces etc, then when nearing the middle take one 8" pass down the middle, change to the slabber and take three or so 2" boards off with it that are already cut in half, this should give you enough top for two or three tables. then back to the circular blade and crack on with dimensional or 8" boards to finish off. Theres a good few projects in that stick!

i`m with alex,defo cut a little longer always splits, but if you take on board both alex and james thoughts you`ll be fine,

Ive found (as a woodmizer owner) that for regular dimension sizes ie 6x2 8x2,etc the lucas is excellent,,,and fast,,,