Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou chaps

One of the basic safety demos I did was with. Shotgun, a. 22rf and a. 22-250

Three melons on sticks

I walked round the audience showing them all three rounds. I then shot each gun at a melon from 40 yards

Both rifles obliterated the melons and the shotgun didn't appear to do anything

I then asked the audience which they thought was the most devastating, in terms of injury

They all said the big rifle

I then explained about why shotguns should be open unless they are being fired and that most accidents occur at Near point blank.

I then walked up to the melon with the shotgun and shot from 5 yard exploding the melon and explained that when the shot was together, the combined kinetic energy of all the pellets together is huge, I did work it out at the time and I think it exceeded the big rifles ft/lb

It opened a few eyes

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

A rather large lump of clay should do the trick to demonstrate the power exerted in a target after the initial penetration, once cut open you'll be able to show them the absolute devastation a bullet has when inside something

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

A rather large lump of clay should do the trick to demonstrate the power exerted in a target after the initial penetration, once cut open you'll be able to show them the absolute devastation a bullet has when inside something

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Cracking idea, my yard is made of clay so I have access to plenty of that :thumbup:

Quite a lot of people may not like it but I think it is an absolute must....

Despite having some of the most strict firearms legislation in the world, I still believe applicants for either shotgun or firearms certificates should have to attend a course before being issued with either.

I cannot believe that we have to attend a course and attain qualifications to abide by H&S safety legislation and insurance conditions to use a chainsaw, a rope and harness and a chipper, yet we can apply for a firearms certificate, blag it that we have enough experience and go out and legally use it ??

I have wrote to a couple of high profile people expressing that this is what I would like to see in future, it may help also to improve the image of the shooting fraternity in general too.

This is after nearly being shot quite a few times and I by that I mean very nearly killed. This is why I do these firearms demos and am very strict on safety at the per shoot briefings as shoot captain

What I've seen on demos before that may be of interest is shooting single thickness block work (old NI training style). It should show penetration and the difference between entry and exit energy transfer. You would be well advised to do a rehearsal as .222 may pen better than full bore. Would be interesting to see the effect of different round types if you can get them. Not sure on the regs regarding safety distances etc though. May also be worth shooting timber as well, I know it takes a fair bit of .50cal to knock over a tree. (Couldn't comment on strike rate - it's an area weapon ;) )

Just a thought.