subby or full time, what do you reckon?

jeanesy

my advice would be to get yourself a transit type van and mix in subby climbing with your own work, say you get 160 a day for dismantling a big beech as a subby, you could double or triple that with your own work, even hedge work, as long as you have something to get the stuff away with. The only worthwhile money in this job is doing it for yourself.

Had thought of that as well, it's getting rid of the stuff. I've had to brash things down in a van many times before and it's not worth the time and effort. IMO proper jobs need proper kit.

Hmmm, just noticed your in Evesham! pm me some more details, mini cv etc. (if cheltenham is not too far) maybe some references but I promise I wont take any up if they are your current employers and you dont want to rock the boat just yet!!!

And that PM, private message, I dont want to go into discussions here, thanks.

But, the reality is its groundies Im short of, not climbers.

Cheers bud, will do. I do think that I could get 3 days at that around here. Summer is a bit slow usually though. It's something I'm looking into for this winter, after my wedding and honeymoon.

This didn't work for me personally. Taking into account the extra hassle, expenses, time quoting jobs etc, I probably earnt as much freelancing then doing my own jobs, and with zero headache.

Was just thinking Steve, if its hassle you wanted to avoid I reckon Arbtalk prolly gives you your share:001_smile:

a good climber should be able to find 3 days a week easy. add some extra useful stuff to what you offer and you'll be booked up solid. as an owner who uses subby climbers here's what appeals to me:

ability to tow a trailer back to the yard full of logs and cleanup,

ability to quote and win jobs effectively when needed,

ability to deal with customers and troublesome neighbours and turn them into clients,

ability and willingness to sharpen my saws to box-fresh standard.

Go for it!

a good climber should be able to find 3 days a week easy. add some extra useful stuff to what you offer and you'll be booked up solid. as an owner who uses subby climbers here's what appeals to me:

ability to tow a trailer back to the yard full of logs and cleanup,

ability to quote and win jobs effectively when needed,

ability to deal with customers and troublesome neighbours and turn them into clients,

ability and willingness to sharpen my saws to box-fresh standard.

Go for it!

Nice one mate. I pretty much do all that for the company I work for now, barring the owners saw sharpening....did a subbies today though!!! Ha, nick.

You're not local are you?!!

manchester unfortunately. ..unfortunately coz it's far for you not coz it's not the best place in the world!

if you do all that stuff already jeanesy freelancing will be great for you.

I think id be willing to travel for a block booking. A week or more plus a bit extra for accommodation. Wouldn't have a problem with that.