subby or full time, what do you reckon?

jeanesy

Hi All

I Was Just After A Bit Of Advice From People In The Know. IM Currently In A Full TimePosition As A Lead Climber And Have Been With The Company For About 4 Yearr, Before That I Was In A Full Time Position For About A yr All In All I've Got About 6/7 Years Climbing Experience In me. Now I've Got This Itch To Go Self Employed And Subby Climb. Was Wondering What Peoples Views Were On Subby Versus Full Time. Cheers.

I Went Freelance After About 7 Years Climbing. I'd Personally Never Go Back To Full Time Employment For A Number Of Reasons, But I Guess It Largely Depends On How Much Work Is In Your Area And How Much Competition You Are Likely To Have.

Why Are We Capitalizing Our First Letters By The Way?

My phone does that sometimes. It does my head in! It also jumbles words up when I try and correct. I kinda feel like I could get more out of going self employed and I'm stagnating where I am. Just a bit worried about the quiet times....bills still need paying

My phone does that sometimes. It does my head in! It also jumbles words up when I try and correct. I kinda feel like I could get more out of going self employed and I'm stagnating where I am. Just a bit worried about the quiet times....bills still need paying

Price yourself right and you wont need to panic when you don't have full weeks. I think too many people when they set out as freelance look at their day rate as their wage, when in reality you should be considering yourself as a legitimate business and charging rates accordingly. Hope that makes sense.

Basically you need to still be able to make the same money, plus any kit/expenditure in the number of days work you can get.

So, if you can only get 3 days a week thats fine as long the pay is good enough so that is at least equal to what your on now. In fact I would say that self employed should roughly be earning the same in three days as employed would in a week, so then your fourth day is profit and your fifth is bonus and the six (if you have that much work) is your holiday money.

So look at how much you are on now, add some for expenses (I dont know what kit you have already ) and see if you could earn that much a year in 3 days of work a week? Calculate on the basis of working at least 50 days a year because if your only doing three days a week you wont affford a holiday. Then if you get more days a week then the number of whole weeks you work might come down abit.

So if the figure comes out at, lets say £150 a day (for three days a week to equal what your on now) then can you get three days a week at that rate?

If you think you can then go for it, and then yo can either move upto 4,5,6 days a week or you could afford to drop your rate to make up extra days. You just need that base of three days a week at a suitable rate to start with.

Of course if you have 4-5 days a week beign offered already then go for it.

Yes, Whats That About?? Is your computer set up to do that or is it by Choice?

IF ALL CAPITALS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING, then What Does First Letter Capitals Mean?

I think it means you enunciate each word clearly and individually. :biggrin:

By the way, 3 days a week at £150 equates to £22,500 a year for a 50 week year, so that must be similar or better to most employed positions? Or am I out of touch with what employed climbers make these days?

Not really. I mean work out how much you'd like to earn a day, but then take into account how much holiday you might like to take a year and from that determine a realistic amount of working days you may work throughout the year. set a budget for tools over the course of a year etc, insurance expenses, fuel etc etc...add all those costs together and divide into the amount of days you plan to work. That will be your day rate, then add a bit on for business growth

• Thanks 1