Crane limitations/ techniques

Blakes 7

I am pretty sure that we are going to be asked to remove a large oak on a roadside.

From memory I think that a crane would help. The tree is leaning over a road which is the main route into a village, the road is on approx a 1:5 hill.

There is a main limb which grows over the road which is about 30" in diameter at the trunk.

All of the crane jobs I have seen have taken picks of upright timber. My questions are:

Can the crane be used as a lowering point and therefore take pieces dropping or do the horizantal pieces have to be basket rigged?

Can a crane work on a hill like this?

How do most people attach the hook to tree.

There are more but lets start with those:confused1:

The crane company will want to come out and have a look at the job first.

They can advise on what if any crane is best for the job.

For horizontal branches just use a couple of slings like you would when rigging with a rope.

Using a crane is brilliant, taken some massive trees down in a couple of hours that would have taken the best part of a week normally.:001_smile:

Can the crane be used as a lowering point and therefore take pieces dropping or do the horizantal pieces have to be basket rigged?

Can a crane work on a hill like this?

How do most people attach the hook to tree.

There are more but lets start with those:confused1:

Blakes, if your asking questions like this and the tree is as big as you made it sound, its probably not gonna be a good idea to attempt the removal using a crane without an experienced climber and crane operator who has done treework.

Blakes, if your asking questions like this and the tree is as big as you made it sound, its probably not gonna be a good idea to attempt the removal using a crane without an experienced climber and crane operator who has done treework.

:dito:

Thanks for the replies, I am experienced in lowering big trees/ sections but I know my limitations (crane work).

I am gathering ammunition if I am asked to do it. I dont want to!

Who would be prepared to do a job like this, so I can give the boss recommendations if we come to do it.:001_smile:

Thanks for the replies, I am experienced in lowering big trees/ sections but I know my limitations (crane work).

I am gathering ammunition if I am asked to do it. I dont want to!

Who would be prepared to do a job like this, so I can give the boss recommendations if we come to do it.:001_smile:

Give Peter a PM. I'm sure he'd do it.

I am experienced in dismantling and rigging large trees, but i have also never done a crane job. I am very interested in learning how to use cranes to make my job as a climber much easier - getting very large trees on the deck in a much safer and more efficient manner. Every climber who is experienced with crane work started somewhere. Every one has a first job. I plan on using a crane on my next BIG tree dismantle, but i will be taking small bits to begin with until i gain experience. I am not about to start going beyond my limitations and endanger my own life and the others around me, but i do want to gain experience in this type of work, but slowly and carefully until i gain 100%confidence in this area.

I would be very grateful if anyone who is doing a crane removal in the future would allow me to come and observe from a distance! Any offers please let me know! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...