Feedback on thinning crown

dan_is_vayne

Good evening all,

Hoping to get some feedback on today's crown thinning on a Brush Box (Lophostemon confertus).

I've only just started climbing again, and these Australia trees are something else to our native trees of the mother land. I feel I could've spent more time in it, but I was already at it too long, so with the pictures...

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1373273306.134808.jpg.e87a4dddb2f943030244500cedccefd3.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1373273326.023234.jpg.03846653315f480fb5e99c24c65a2671.jpg

Also for your viewing pleasure found a cavity on my way down, in the branch union, took a video to show the boss to see how structurally sound the limb would be, and got this surprise.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1373274149.682911.jpg.c78d230126df9c52e8e052f0cc4c18ad.jpg

Glad I didn't poke my finger too far into this,

Also any help identifying these beetles would be a big help

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1373274197.168782.jpg.d372fa5192f426dcd49bdd64011485eb.jpg

Thank you in advance

Dan

Agree with Ewan. The thin could have been used on the ends of limbs or branches so as not too lions tail it. When you say you were taking to long was that your thinking or the bosses. Clean job but just a little more effort too make the tips can end with a better result,for the tree and the next climber.

Jake:thumbup1:

Agree with Ewan. The thin could have been used on the ends of limbs or branches so as not too lions tail it. When you say you were taking to long was that your thinking or the bosses. Clean job but just a little more effort too make the tips can end with a better result, for the tree and the next climber.

Jake:thumbup1:

Spot on...but how ever would you get to the tips of something like that other than using a MEWP? (I know I certainly wouldn't / couldn't...n yes I know why that is thanks :lol:)

Joking apart, accessing the crown extremities of such a spindly tree would be very, very difficult...and 'risque' yeah?

Cheers..

Paul

Spot on...but how ever would you get to the tips of something like that other than using a MEWP

Bit of blood and sweat Paul.....Climbers have been getting to the tips of any tree for years prior to the rise of mewps. Where theres a will theres a way.

Edited by Steve Bullman

Bit of blood and swear Paul.....Climbers have been getting to the tips of any tree for years prior to the rise of mewps. Where theres a will theres a way.

Cheers Steve, obviously too much in my 'dim n distant' past...but not sure I cud'av ever got out there before something gave way, my nerves or the branch. :blushing:

In part, and in some situations, I guess that contributes to the temptation to remove the inner crown rather than working at the tips.

Hats off to you guys who undertake that kinda work, I wholly admire you :thumbup1:

Paul

In part, and in some situations, I guess that contributes to the temptation to remove the inner crown rather than working at the tips.

Its certainly the easiest option...perhaps even the encouraged use of mewps has resulted in this kind of work from the new generation of climbers.