Loler query

Steve Bullman

Now that's a good point about defective gear accidents, before and after LOLER checks came in. But I think that is what LOLER is about, records of equipment use, before LOLER there were no equipment records apart from maybe receipt of sale but that wouldn't really tell you much anyway.

I know what you mean about records,but the point i was trying make was that normally for legislation to come in there has to be a proven risk,ie for a speed camera on a road there has to have been a number of serious, speed related, accidents on that road,so you would think there should be figures pre loler that show there were many accident and deaths caused by worn or damaged equipment,now maybe there are but, iv never seen them and i wounder if this legislation is just another means by which people in our industry who don't like hard work can make an easy living, i could be wrong

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean about records,but the point i was trying make was that normally for legislation to come in there has to be a proven risk,ie for a speed camera on a road there has to have been a number of serious, speed related, accidents on that road,so you would think there should be figures pre loler that show there were many accident and deaths caused by worn or damaged equipment,now maybe there are but, iv never seen them and i wounder if this legislation is just another means by which people in our industry who don't like hard work can make an easy living, i could be wrong

Hmm, I think that maybe, LOLER was really directed more toward the heavy lifting industry, I think that maybe, it took a little time before people realized that Arboricultural operations came within the legislation.

we went down the loler route when it came in and i think we are safer and better equiped when i first started i got an old troll manchester approx 12 yrs old with 3 previos users names in permanent marker and a bunch of screwgates that had been around for ever no one ever checked there kit or thought about replacement dates i personally would like the industry to tighten up how many of you actually check and record every week

we went down the loler route when it came in and i think we are safer and better equiped when i first started i got an old troll manchester approx 12 yrs old with 3 previos users names in permanent marker and a bunch of screwgates that had been around for ever no one ever checked there kit or thought about replacement dates i personally would like the industry to tighten up how many of you actually check and record every week

fair comment,but i like buying new kit, get a new harness and rope every APF so biannually,and if i did not have to spend on inspections i could change gear even more often if there was a need

I inspect my own equiptment at the end of the day im the one using it so im the only one that should have the final say whether its good or not. Common sense its simple why pay some one its total rollocks.

Any decent tree feller knows his gear inside and out i learned what to check and how often and my gear has and will never fial me because i check each day i use it.

me and a mate were thinking about doing a course so we could do each others LOLER inspections. What insurance do you need? this company is only 15 miles away from me. http://www.narc.co.uk/coursedetail/TSK1U.html

For this to work you would both have to have professional indemnity insurance that covers equipment inspection. I am not sure if it is possible to add to an existing policy, never looked in to it.

It is probably a good idea if you have lots of equipment. If you are a small business it will almost certainly cheaper to get someone else to do it once every 6 months.