Max bar size for Stihl 'toolless' 026.

Adamam

Is 16" too big for a 'toolless' chain tensioner? I haven't used one before, and I'm slightly dubious. I'm assuming that the 'toolless' fastening isn't as robust as regular bar nuts etc.

At the moment it has a 13" bar...

:confused1:

I've not got much experience with the tool-less ones, seems a little over-complicated.

But...

There's nothing to suggest they'd be any worse or better than the tool-using apes' equivalent?

Or is there?

They won't tension enough once they wear slightly, and almost certainly won't tension a 16". You have no leverage, trying to roll a plastic scrollwheel with your finger.

One nut means the bar can be slightly up or slightly down, causing a difference in the tension as I'm sure everyone knows.

You can't tighten it up enough to stop this movement with the crappy plastic glorified wingnut. Once the bar and chain is used for the first time, oil obviously works it's way in and then it'll never hold fast.

Suitable for domestic market only, IMHO, as you know they'll never fill the oil up so the bar will be nice and dry and the chain nice and tight! Problem solved.

Anyone who buys one so they haven't got to use complicated tools probably shouldn't be allowed near a bow saw let alone a chain saw.