monolith

Stephen Blair

i might have a monster dead elm to make safe, it is in a woodland, it must be 7 feet in diameter up to about 25 feet then breaks into 4 big upright trunks. i have recomeneded to bring it down to about 6 feet above where it breaks into 4. it is on the top of a small banking. if i leave it this hieght and get some advice on coronet cuts, do you think it will be safe, the last thing i want is in 10years it falls over and takes the banking with it. sorry no pics:001_smile:

If it is burry elm and you can get the thing down in millable lumps you couls be sitting on a tidy sum mate. Too far away for me, but if you have a sawmill near you... Ithink there is a pretty big one at Inverleith if that is in your area.

If it is burry elm and you can get the thing down in millable lumps you couls be sitting on a tidy sum mate. Too far away for me, but if you have a sawmill near you... Ithink there is a pretty big one at Inverleith if that is in your area.

if someone had a narrow lorry with a 15ton hiab, then it could be done, it is close to a small road. but it would need to be very worth while as the customer isnt short of a few bob and doesnt want any mess. but they are really up for habitat and the monolith idea. :001_smile:

Monoliths that have public access are only justifiable if Monitored.

The safety of dead standing timber is unqauntifiable.

Wholly dependent on ground conditions, type of root/trunk decay present, species etc........

Claus Mattheck argues that 3-4m is the optimum height for Monos.

I've created 30 - 40 over the last 10 years or so.

Some of these are well over the above height, all are recorded and annualy monitored and incrementaly reduced depending on distance to target, target having changed and above all condition.

I'm not going to bang on about how important I believe habitat potential of dead standing Timber to be, but creating then forgetting about it is a recipe for disaster.

If you're not the one to do any monitoring, then get something in writting from the owners as to the recommendation from you to have it monitored by a professional. :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

heres one we did last week it was one big mother of an elm

Good work, was the client private or authority?

Climbed or Mewped Sanny?

We don't have any big Elms around here, so have never created any.

Missed my calling back in the seventies when DED hit the South :sad:

Good work, was the client private or authority?

Climbed or Mewped Sanny?

We don't have any big Elms around here, so have never created any.

Missed my calling back in the seventies when DED hit the South :sad:

private chap it was a killer of a banking could of done with some pit ponys lol

it was climbed monkeyd every thing dropped no rigging involved bing bang bosh

it sure is a shame about the elm its such a lovely looking tree