Incinerators in tree surgery

Rowden the cowboy

Just thinking... How about a mobile incinerator for burning waste rather than chipping? Imagine, maintenance free,low on fuel, no need to dispose of chips, no need for a yard, no need for a tipping truck. Does anyone know of such a machine or will I have to make one? I'm envisaging something about the size of an agricultural grain trailer which can be fed manually or automatically: there will be no faffing about with stress feeds etc.. you could just chuck brash and whole rings of timber in there and dispose of it quickly. Is this possible? Does such a machine already exist? If not, then it was my idea first.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burning green timber it would get the chimney clogged and have a chimney fire, that would then set fire to the trees above the chimney, they would burn then fall on next doors house taking the HV power cables down with it, plunging the local town into darkness, causing traffic signals to stop working, cars crashing into each other, looting rape and pillage, martial law and then civil war/ unrest

Nah, not a good idea mate :001_tongue:

Company myself and Mr Bullman subbed to used a contraption called Dusty Bin, and believe me it got hot!! We even had to have a specially fabricated toaster as you couldnt get near the thing! I think Steve may have a pic or 2 in his archives of it in action.

plunging the local town into darkness, causing traffic signals to stop working, cars crashing into each other, looting rape and pillage, martial law and then civil war/ unrest

Sounds like a normal saturday night in Brighouse.

Rowden, what you want is an airburner.

http://www.airburners.com/

There are a few companies running them in the UK.

I've seen pics from the 20's or 30's where they had an incinerator towed behind something. Looked as though you had to set up the chimney once on site as it was very high, to keep the smoke above houses etc. Then light it and feed branches into the back doors just like a chipper. Looked like a good solution for those days.

Why not chip the waste and create a useable product?!

Burning may seem like an easier/cheaper option but from my experience its a lot more work and time consuming than chipping. In the long term chipping has to be a lot more viable.

I remember reading an article a few years back where a climber (working on his own!) started a fire close to the base of the tree he was working in.

His plan was to throw the cut brash onto the fire from the tree.

He was later on found dead up the tree :sad:

I cant remember whether it was just from smoke inhalation or the tree caught fire!

Not a good way to go me thinks.