SRT base anchors and rescue anchors

Both those setups are lacking a safety margin. If for any reason the rescuer has to drop the

line mid rescue (bees/wild dogs/falling bits of tree), you're coming down fast!

True Dan, I agree and the system I currently use employs is backed up. There are often trade offs, its still safe to use it just lacks the redundant back up (capture) in the case of operator issues. The same thing applies using a 8 decending etc

I'll see if I can find a pic.

Regards,

Tony

One alpine, above the base tie, then the rescuer runs their climbing system through a krab in the knot they can pick you up with this system and the undo your base tie so there is no need to cut rope. And liwer you by realsibg slack in their climbing system. And a heads up about gri-gris tgey arent rated to be placed on a fixed anchor point and have been known to slip under pretty low loads.

Here's a basil tie AR system that Nick Bonner demonstrates for Tree Stuff. Great demo. My only thought is that not only do you require someone competent in its use for lowering but also setting it up post incident. If you worked with the same guys/groudies/crew constantly I don't see this being a problem.

Just some more food for thought.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhVP7f6CwI]TreeStuff.com Tech Tip: Base Tie Rescue System - YouTube[/ame]

Regards Tony

Here's a basil tie AR system that Nick Bonner demonstrates for Tree Stuff. Great demo. My only thought is that not only do you require someone competent in its use for lowering but also setting it up post incident. If you worked with the same guys/groudies/crew constantly I don't see this being a problem.

Just some more food for thought.

Regards Tony

Food for thought indeed, essentially the same as a system I posted but with an 8 instead of the rw/hitch. Only issue I can see is that top crab wandering off up the tree. Imo it would be better tied or mallioned in.

One alpine, above the base tie, then the rescuer runs their climbing system through a krab in the knot they can pick you up with this system and the undo your base tie so there is no need to cut rope. And liwer you by realsibg slack in their climbing system. And a heads up about gri-gris tgey arent rated to be placed on a fixed anchor point and have been known to slip under pretty low loads.

How does that lift take place Ewan? Are you talking a ddrt rescue system so as to have a MA?

Yerp, grigri's aren't the best. But everything should be backed up with stoppers in the ideal situation, good habit to be in imo.

An obvious observation that I'll throw in for discussion is that any basil lowering system requires the casualty to be free from obstructions including being lanyard in. It would be interesting to know in any given country what percentage of rescues are the climbers also secondarily attached?

A not dissimilar conversation just started at SRJ's where a valid point was raised in regards to the amount of redirects placing friction in a lowering system that could be detrimental to descent.

An obvious observation that I'll throw in for discussion is that any basil lowering system requires the casualty to be free from obstructions including being lanyard in. It would be interesting to know in any given country what percentage of rescues are the climbers also secondarily attached?

A not dissimilar conversation just started at SRJ's where a valid point was raised in regards to the amount of redirects placing friction in a lowering system that could be detrimental to descent.

Rescues seem a pretty rare event, in most cases a self-rescue is carried out, unfortunately if a self rescue is not carried out then the situation is usually serious even fatal.

How many of us here can honestly say they've been in a rescue situation? And if you can what were the details?

I only know of 2 amongst those I work with daily in both incidents the climber rescued themselves as in emergency self descent.

I used to tie a rescue anchor but got fed up with setting one up, I really should set-up an eye for the ground crew to attach a second system too like Ewan mentioned.

For us an access line is just that access only hence the reason I no longer make a rescue tie as the time spent on it is only minutes and I ascend with a separate climbing system.

I am surprised that you single line guys use a base tie regularly the doubling of the anchor point load, I'd also be surprised if you get top Tie from the ground, i prefer to go for something slightly lower that I know is safe then move my final anchor higher once in the tree and am able to access and choose the best point.

I also feel the best rescue contingency is to have a separate access line installed and a second climber competent to use it, and not be working off the fastest method of accessing the tree, because if you need rescuing its a high chance a climbing rescue will need to be performed.

This thread has certainly made me think again about introducing a back up to my base anchor a habit over the years I have sadly stopped using.

Edited by Marc