Wonder if you guys can advise a bit off topic but wood chip related

sasha.p

Thanks just been looking now at mites there are a few but it appears most mites bite and the irritation is around the bite area all apart from chiggers now this I will have to look into so thank you for the suggestion of mites,you could be right about it being something normal that's just reacting due to the sun also so am looking at that too :thumbup1:

Is this not a massive over reaction? First it could be woodchip now it could be mites (chiggers). If you are so worried about it take the kids to the doctor.

Stop reading what it could be on the net and get the facts from a professional.

Hope the kids get well soon.

All the best.

Egg.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol Egg yeah your right about that reading on the net does no good at all really does it but when you see your own child react like how I saw my son it becomes not so easy to over react especially after all the children have reacted so bad I really feel this needs to be addressed and the cause found.

Latest update there was a reaction in another class Wednesday then again yesterday a child reacted over his leg and came up in hives again.The head teacher has had the council out who apprently cleared all ragwort on Tuesday and came back on Wednesday .After yesterdays reaction which occured just outside of the forest school I went in this morning and took a look around that area and guess what I found more ragwort some of which was under a seating area around a tree near by so I pointed it out to a teacher there was still ragwort .

I popped in to the head teacher and spoke again today to be honest she looked like she was going to cry as she said she has asked the council to remove they have been in and assured her its removed but also said its not in their policy to remove it unless next to livestock is this normal for the council then?I know defra cant enforce anyone to remove unless its next to live stock but then the school is only across the road from a working farm .

I know its not the chip as the same chip is in the juniors play area and something would of happened there I am now trying to narrow down the plants in that area grasses weeds etc by process if elimination like removing the most well know allergens buttercups,ragwort etc and I am calming down and looking at more realistic allergens such as grasses as my son is always exposed to certain grasses but there are a few we dont have at home that are releasing pollen atm in the school grounds .

I know from doing a little research and from what one of you guys said about how somthing can be more voletile in the sun and create reactions different to what it would do normally I guess it could of been a combination of elements ,timing and the fact the children are encouraged to play in the long grass.

I want to narrow it down as much as possible as allergy testing for a 6 year old is not a nice thing but I want to know what they should be testing for and if I am able to narrow it down then it should make the whole thing less traumatic . I will be booking him in next week now to discuss it with the gp.

I have also given the school permission now to let my son back out to forest school next week knowing that the ragwort has been removed from that area and if there is anything going to cause a reaction it would be grass or other plants and the fact they have anti histamine to be able to administer to him if something does start to happen again.And in the meanwhile the head teacher is going to arrange for me to speak to the council regarding the ragwort as I think its a sensible thing to keep it out of an area where young children under 5 years play play food etc as previously stated a child ate privet last year and ended at the doctors what would happen if a child decided to pick the ragwort and do the same?.would I be in the wrong to ask them to put it into their regular grounds maintanance routine to just pull them when they see them?

Would be interesting to hear others views on the ragwort bearing in mind a child is more sensitive than an adult to reactions .