Chainsaw mill

Vertigo Arb Ltd

Thanks all for feedback already given.

What size bars do you have on the 064s? You could do with a 30" bar to get the most (as already said) out of a 24" mill.

Sharp chain is essential go for the precison grinder but maybe not straight away if you want to keep the cash spend lower.

:001_smile:

hello mate nice to meet you!

I will buy a bar and chain as well as the mill if I do get one I think so you suggest a 30" one.

I will probably not buy a grinder straight away and use my extreme sharpening eye ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worrys - just get it sharp as it is harder work if you don't.

The Sugi bars are really good if you don't mind spending a few more £ but the oregon powermatch will do if you don't.

Sign up on my site Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories and then PM me you have done so for 10% disc.

Look at the winching thread here for less work http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/58216-very-cool-way-winching-your-alaskan-up-log.html

Only have x1 alaskan at the moment - more due in 5 - 7 days.

:001_smile:

Rob, do you have spare guide rail in stock for the mini mill?

I have mine on the edge of a length of 6x2, but it's tired now.

Can you recommend anything better to fix it to?

Sorry to barge in here.

As a guide rail for the Alaskan Mini Mill, I am using a 5" x 2" (approx) beam constructed from plywood. It's very stable, and has no tendency to twist due to temperature and humidity.

The plywood I use is made for flooring joists (3.6m) and has all plywood fibres running lengthwise. I have glued together two 40 x 63 mm making a guide rail of 40 x 126 mm (approx 2" x 5"), and attached the aluminium brackets that guide the Mini-Mill.

Don't have a photo of the rail handy, but here's a photo of a 40 x 63 mm plywood flooring joist.

showpic.jpg.60b412bb121b72e6b3dde1f0a6e4a771.jpg

Edited by morten

Don't have a photo of the rail handy, but here's a photo of a 40 x 63 mm plywood flooring joist.

I made a photo of the plywood Mini Mill rail while milling four large Spuces during the past two days.

Notice the three pre-drilled holes in the rail for fixing screws. Their position have been chosen to allow the Mini Mill to slide past. When fixing the rail to a flat surface, two screws in the rail is all it takes, though. Generally, I use an Alaskan Mill for the first cut, using an H profile ladder mounted using a couple of brackets, see this thread for details: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/46714-mounting-ladder-guide-bar-alaskan.html

mini-mill-rail.jpg.69f5c2589df5d23d48e3f585310bb36e.jpg

Edited by morten