How does this look for a first climbing kit?

LewisPH

This is a climbing kit we have put together for the starter, as climbers we recognise that pulley systems can confuse a newbie (confused me until the last year and I have been climbing for 18 years)

Its a simple prusik loop climbing kit with everything you need to practice climbing, rec climbing and small pruning jobs, its also very reasonably priced :thumbup1:

Start off with a prussik or split tail and in time work your way up to a 'VT' or spider/lock jack, zigzag2. I'm sure there are stll alot of guys on here still climbing on a prussik. I do now the zigzag has gone back...:sleep1:

Starter Climbing Kit - Climbing Kits - Climbing

That looks a good deal, plus common sense, too many newbies try to walk before they can run and get hung up on shiny gear.

Harness, prussiks, lanyard, rope. All you need for starters. (And spikes, but they can wait I guess)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can test out stuff there. FR Jones is nearer you though I think, both are very good.

I do understand the urge to buy kit, I'm the same with climbing kit and cycling stuff etc. there is a big draw to "having the right stuff" but at first you need practice so keep it simple. On karabiner and one rope and one hitch, thats it. Plus a lanyard of some kind but that could be made out of 3m of rope cut off the end of your climbing line, and then you need one karabiner for that aswell and a prussik loop which can be girth hitched onto the harness so no need of a karabiner on that side.

And your off.

Whats the difference between basic and progressive kits? Nothing other than a differnet lanyard with a little pulley?

Hi Rupe

The difference in it is a higher spec harness and a longer rope for the climber looking to work on large trees, also the lanyard kit is more advanced, I know of lot of students who wouldn't have a clue how to put it together so we have kept it out of the starter kit, as Le Sanglier said 'lets not run before we can walk'.

Oh yeah... and the price :thumbup1:

Thanks again everyone. Will probably go for a simple loop instead then to get started - Did some more ground work today and the climber was only on a prusik - If it's good enough for him I'm sure I can learn with it! Can always add a pulley later on.

Cheers for the offer Arran, I'll definitely be in touch once I've sorted some gear out! My main job is actually at Bluewater so you're nearby - Would love to meet some new people as well so sounds great!

Sounds good to me bro, If you want to get out and try some gear before you buy I happy to come out and play and show you the ropes :001_smile: my number is 07590 376 934. Was at bluewater on sunday had wagamama's :thumbup:

Hey fella's, quick question, can you gain your climbing competencies in the UK using SRT? or for that matter any DRT system and or devices or are you confined to a prusik/blakes or alike.

Apolagise for the slight derail,

Tony

I recently completed my CS38 and climbed during the assessment on a eye-to-to friction cord tied into a Distel. I asked my instructor and assessor beforehand and they both said as long as you can prove your competant in your chosen style and aware of older, more traditional methods l, then they're shouldn't be an issue.

I suppose this requires the assesor to be familiar with your favoured technique though?

Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got myself along to Honey Brothers today and spent a good long time chatting to Woody, who was immensely helpful.

Got myself an Edelrid Treemagic 2 after trying out a few options (Petzl Sequoia, Edelrid Treecore and Komet Dragonfly), but the TM2 was the most comfortable for me by a long shot.

I got a 30m XTC Fire, which I now realise is EASILY long enough to start with - Can't believe I was going to get a 45m - I'd have drowned in it.

I decided not to bother with the Hitchclimber for the time being, but instead went with the more traditional Prusik loop and a DMM krab, plus a spare krab to keep on my harness for whatever needs may present themselves.

He put together a lanyard kit for me out of a 4m rope, a 3-Way snap lock and another krab, an ISC pulley and a length of friction cord, with which I've got a Valdotain Tresse to hold with - Seems very solid. I might look to get an eye-2-eye in the future however, as the double fisherman's are a little clunky - But not a priority, as function would be no different.

I also picked up a Petzl Vertex Vent with some ear defenders and a face guard, and a Silky Zubat 300 to start pruning the trees over the garden with, once I'm comfortable climbing, aswell as for use on the ground, trimming off branches to drag to the chipper.

He chucked in a couple of copies of Arb Climber and a Honey Bros T shirt, so I'm a happy customer!

If you're on here - Cheers Woody!