A pretty basic question.....?

Mr P

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never really got why crossing branches are the enemy... I have seen plenty of trees held together with natural bracing of course there are obvious exceptions but natural bracing through crossing branches ... How do we all feel on crown raising !?

I was always told you took out crossing branches as they could cause a wound in the tree and hence open it up to pathogens. As for crown raising, as long as its not a huge amount I can't see the problem. As stated before tho I'm pretty new to private work and so stand to be corrected.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I would say basically they are the same things, Prune/reduction/trim, all mean "Make smaller"

Not really, "pruning" is simply the removal of any branch, twig, limb or multiples there of.

A "reduction" suggests making a whole tree smaller.

A "trim" is what you do to to a hedge or ask the barber for.

IMO.

Not really

Reduction tends to be in size, and a specific measurement given as to how much to take off, normally incorporates a prune as a matte of course

Prune, basic prune IMO is dead, crossing, epicormics, Stubbs, leaving the shape untouched, unless something like lamp house ect is too close, or there's a daft looking sticky outy bit. Then there's safety pruning, formative pruning etc

Thin, reduction in volume, allows more light to filter through, shape untouched. Not lions tailing mind

Trim, hedges are trimmed

:thumbup1: this is as i know it

"Pruning" is simply the act of removing a part or parts of a tree, you cannot "reduce", "thin", "dead wood", etc, with "pruning, but "pruning" in no way describes what parts of the tree that are removed or the finished form or shape of the tree.