non running 044

william127

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just taken of the muffler, the piston appears quite scored even to my non mechanical eye:thumbdown:, tomorrow i will show it to my engineer friend(got a feeling he might swear a lot when he sees it!) and compression test it.

if it is a piston/compression issue prepare yourselves for many more questions im afraid! thanks again.

just taken of the muffler, the piston appears quite scored even to my non mechanical eye:thumbdown:, tomorrow i will show it to my engineer friend(got a feeling he might swear a lot when he sees it!) and compression test it.

if it is a piston/compression issue prepare yourselves for many more questions im afraid! thanks again.

Ah - the magic ebay shed that takes in a working chainsaw and spits it out seized:001_rolleyes::lol:

I had sort of thought the saw may have gone in the shed running but it looks like it has been seized badly!

The next step on the carb investigation would have been to see if you haev fuel in the pumping section - proving the impulse line and pumping membrane are working and then check the metering/diaphragm section to ensure the needle and metering arm are working correctly.

It looks like you should look at low compression as being your issue - lots of pics on "Whats on my bench" of seized pistons.

The cylinder may well be able to be cleaned and a new piston fitted. Make sure you use a Meteor or Stihl one and ensure the reason for seizure is found and repaired.

To be honest I wouldn't look into the piston just yet. If the plug was dry then you are not getting fuel and this does need attention.

The scoring on the piston may or may not be bad. So you could chase that and not get the fuel issue sorted. Sort the fuel and get the plug wet. Then if the saw doesn't run right look into the piston.

Anything under 150psi is not good, but a saw will run on slightly less than this.

If you were able to see the rings through the exhaust port, did they look stuck in the landings? They should appear to move up and down just a little bit if you rock the flywheel back and to a bit. If the ally of the piston looks like it's smeared over them and they don't move, then you probably aren't getting any compression.

Ah - the magic ebay shed that takes in a working chainsaw and spits it out seized:001_rolleyes::lol:

fortunately its never been near ebay, my dad bought it brand new, part of the reason im prepared to invest time/money in it.

gtr very good point about the dry plug, i think i will do the carb tomorrow as planned, but looking at the photo of the piston above i realy think i need a new one so i think ill order one up anyway.

im not realy doing this for commercial reasons, more for the satisfaction of getting it running, and because it was one of the first saws i ever used so im quite happy to spend a fair few quid on it:laugh1: