how much do you do and how do you do it?

william127

How many meters/yards of logs do you sell over a year? And how do you get the raw materials and how do you process it? Also how do you advertise? Im not after detailed/private business ins and outs, just general ideas/chat.

Over the last year I did approximately 40 yards, all processed with a ms291 with a 15inch bar, split with a maul or axe, and delivered either in my landrover or tractors link box in bulk bags.

My uncut logs mainly came from an old railway yard that was being cleared by engineers who I gave a few quid to let me in:001_smile:

The rest was from a medium sized fruit tree removal I did and about 5 cubic metres of very well seasoned willow I mixed in. All my customers were very happy, most order ing 3 or 4 times.

Thanks, William.

Seems to be a reluctance to reply, cant say I blame people.

40 cube with a chainsaw and splitter is a fair old lot in my book, well done.

Most here are Arb guys so get some wood for free and buy a bit in. some buy in all their cord. some buy in processed logs, some like me do a mixture.

Supply customers with high quality goods and they will come back providing you have made enough profit on them to still be in business. Your last thread about what you charged for your load given that you processed it by hand in my book says you are not charging anywhere near enough.

If I was you and looking to expand your business I would be looking for a small used processor and a tractor to lift and power it. This is assuming you have some premisses and ideally access to a loader of some sort. Alternately look to buy in ready processed logs in 27 tonne loads.

And put your prices up !!

A

Edited by Alycidon

last season we did 1000 tonnes i now of through the weighbridge tickets that the lads felled in the woods and bought back from trackside but umpteen hundred tonnes ontop of that of arb arisings and tree work wood also, we have gone through few hundred tonne gone out and some already this year supplying wholesale orders thats gone out, but hoping to nearly double that quantity back at the yard this season.

all done via two processors and large splitters etc

joy

Edited by Joy Yeomans
wording

Thanks, I will certainly be charging more for the bulk loads in future, I thought id post the other thread for advice before making advertising. I think I pulled in about £2000 over the last year for logs with no advertising, I think this year I shall advertise and hopefully double that, then next year look at processing equipment. I currently have access to a mf35 with a loader but that only has a single hydraulic pipe to the rear, so cant run even a simple log splitter with out modifications. I am planning on buying a slightly bigger/more modern tractor this year for paddock/fieldwork contracting so after that I will be looking into some firewood machinery.

The logs always used to be a bit of fun but after last yeear I think it could really go somewhere. Its the supply of good quality timber that vital imo. Thanks, William.