Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

heres one from a job i was looking at while ago. a perfect hole where the beech has grafted together. In another part of this job there was a piece of scrap metal which was up in the tree, it must have been thrown up there, it was crossing two branches, they had both grown round it! couldnt get a good enough photo of that one though.

img0648rz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is a wicked example, and now i know roughly where it is im pretty darn sure I will find it, there arent many pines in whip, so makes life easier, reckon you wasnt too far from the scotts with phaeolus.:thumbup:

Took an image of this beech branch this year, quite remarkable when you see it, I dont know how it holds it without breaking, guess the sheltering effect must be significant or it just could not last!

photos just dont do it justice, it is not only riciculously long, it goes of almost 90 degrees to the origional angle:thumbup1:

597655f96ce7b_sacfungi191.jpg.e6b486c5f530ff1c6c33610eaece318a.jpg

Took an image of this beech branch this year, quite remarkable when you see it, I dont know how it holds it without breaking, guess the sheltering effect must be significant or it just could not last!

photos just dont do it justice, it is not only riciculously long, it goes of almost 90 degrees to the origional angle:thumbup1:

Cracker Tony, bet doing a limb walk on that 40ft up would be fun :biggrin:

Here's one from a willow that we had to fell a few years ago. See them a lot but they're always impressive when you do come across them I think.

Nice find wayne.

you're right, plenty around when you're looking :thumbup1:

Standing or fallen one Tony?

if you stick to the path going right out of the car park and stay to right on the main drag not smaller paths youll see a line of three vet pines to right, V large ones, one dead, and two hanging on, phaeolus on third that you come to in the line. old fruits still on yesterday!

this is the photo i got after waiting three years for it to fruit after seeing an old fruit body on the tree.

597655fdc50fd_phaeolus130.jpg.de1033e2da767d53a230cfc34d0cf58e.jpg