Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Have a soft spot for these two old girls up at Hampstead, going to be deadhedging & diverting the footpath away from under the canopy of the latter next week.

do you mean those two oaks?

what work are you doing to them?

sorry pics didnt come in till after i posted, awsome tree on the left, other not too shabby iether, your a lucky lucky boy monkey, where is that oak? accses to see it?

awsome tree on the left, other not too shabby iether, your a lucky lucky boy monkey, where is that oak? access to see it?

Tony, the second oak is easily accessed at the gate know as "Hampstead gate" between City of Londons Hampstead Heath & English Heritages Kenwood

(who's SouthWood is a SSSI and well worth a trip around itself, if you've not been before + the largest Pipistrelle bat roost in London.)

David......stunning! Intervention via non-intervention.

The second shot is amazing...I mean the trees appearance is amazing. I know sometimes folk criticise the threads you post but you have consistently shown your patch is a treasure trove !

Cheers.

Tim, glad someone else sees what I see.

HH is in no way a Windsor or a Staverton, but with any decent sized site (800+ acres) that has a modicum of mans historical interaction with Trees, whether that be forest, wood or grazed, is generally going to have Trees of biomechanical/ecological interest.

We just need to stop, take some time............and look around us.

Edited by Monkey-D

I am thinking that the roots of the old girl with the fibre buckling and force flow is sitting on ground prone to soil errosion? heavy foot traffic? get some mulch on her roots chap, you know it make sense.

Generally Sand :sad:

Although there is a constant footfall & the occassional vehicle over the plate, she's not particularly suffering from any perceivable major compaction and associated stress, but the dead hedge & path re-route, will help long term.

I may assess the rhizosphere closer, and possibly break up any compaction with radial trenching.

Have reduced a couple of heavy dead branches in the past, but nothing else needed.

DSC02879.JPG.b2a98767ba5b739f1dd9802f8e6cd159.JPG

DSC02877.JPG.bda9588e4c3189461071418ed732ab0b.JPG

I think a diversion round the right side of the little beech, some mulch and big sections of dead brought in would help her though. sandy soil is always going to be better against compaction, but also more free draining and lower organic content.

Judging by the car tracks, its been driven over in wet conditions, enhances compaction as you know, I dont doubt some work as you say on the organic content rizoshpere would give this girl a natural boost.

lovely place, great work environment and very very jelous.