Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

hence the smiley face and (sorry)

i don't mean anything by it when i tease about spelling, just like to be exact thats all, ignore me:thumbup:

and tony's right, he can't spell for toffee:001_tt2:

No worries mate happy to learn as David says i should try harder with the spelling for my own professional growth in the industry i am going to take maths and English again with a private teacher before i take my level 4 .Cheers tony i now from your way of looking at it its not all about qualifications and is about thinking outside the box.Ps until i sort myself out you will have to lump it lol but will strive to do better.:thumbup:

Street planted cherrys are often girdled like this Andrew

From what I can gather, the Americans appear to deal with this type of issue more than we do here in the UK.

Does this mean that UK has less of the problem, or deals with it less? :001_tt2: I do hope your nurseries churn out less crap than ours.

Attached is some of these dealings; soon to be in the ANSI Standard. The author's a loony but many in the US do the same basic steps. first is the pop piece; 2nd peer reviewed for ISA.

LBG III Managing Stem-Girdling Roots1.doc.pdf

Root Pruning TCI.pdf

No worries mate happy to learn as David says i should try harder with the spelling for my own professional growth in the industry i am going to take maths and English again with a private teacher before i take my level 4 .Cheers tony i now from your way of looking at it its not all about qualifications and is about thinking outside the box.Ps until i sort myself out you will have to lump it lol but will strive to do better.:thumbup:

I will always judge a man more by how he thinks and carries himself than by how he spells, but David is right it is important, but not essential if it means the difference between saying and being quiet:thumbup:

Does this mean that UK has less of the problem, or deals with it less? :001_tt2: I do hope your nurseries churn out less crap than ours.

I don't believe we have less of a problem, but its not one that I see tackled particularly.

I guess the tools possibly haven't been at hand for so long here in the UK (airspade etc....)

There is (i believe) a UK standard being currently drafted regarding nursery tree stock, but until that's in place & monitored there will always be defective tree stock going out to both public & private planting schemes.

Thanks for the links Guy :thumbup1:

Attached is some of these dealings; soon to be in the ANSI Standard. The author's a loony but many in the US do the same basic steps. first is the pop piece; 2nd peer reviewed for ISA.

Very interesting read thankyou.:thumbup1:

"I don't believe we have less of a problem, but its not one that I see tackled particularly."

You all don't know what you are missing--great fun! But for contractors working by the hour is strongly advised; takes time to do it right.

"I guess the tools possibly haven't been at hand for so long here in the UK (airspade etc....)"

Yes pricey tools mean marketing means more awareness, but most of this work is done manually--shovel, hose, trowel, hose, then prune.

"There is (i believe) a UK standard being currently drafted regarding nursery tree stock, but until that's in place & monitored there will always be defective tree stock going out to both public & private planting schemes."

Ours is in place but 3+ years late in the revision and seldom monitored--ANSI Z60--googleable, and i trust the drafting committee has a copy-- states "flare should be at grade and visible" but most nurseries and landscapers skip this detail, leaving this mission to arbs--should they choose to accept it. :001_huh:

"Thanks for the links"

Thank the ISA, who allowed me to present the work and get it into the proceedings. Popular articles are good and all but they don't carry the weight to get the practice into the standard. The ISA's peer review process was quite exacting, as it needs to be to build credibility. :thumbup:

Thought provoking pieces... thank you. :001_smile:

Some nice fluting on a roadside Broad-leafed Lime. Nice healthy crown with no tight unions. No hint of agressive fungi anywhere at the base just the odd bit of Coprinus sp in the butresses but nothing major.

Hello just wondered would the fluting be from the tree being planted high when at a nursery stage :confused1: or maybe their was a pathogen but it was not present at the time of the pic I now kretz likes a bit of lime their dosent seem to be much epicormic at the base and the tree looks in good health but must be responding to some kind of stress because of the fluting.:confused1: