Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Had a short window to have wee rec climb around one of my favourite Beeches at work earlier today..........

Very very nice David...a great Beech. Some cool photo's too. it's good to see you are paying attention in photography class.:flute: :sneaky2

Are these trunks self bracing, or is that statement really as stupid as it sounds ? :blushing:.

:thumbup::thumbup:

David,

This is exactly the question that has been proposed by a friend of mine in Australia who has been observing similar reactive growth mechanisms in the Eucalyptus populations over there. He now has a significant number of examples of twin stem (tight forks) appearing to brace themselves.

This process appear to take place in a number of ways involving a combination of adventitious bulges grown from the stem, re-enforcement of the fork union itself and integration of lateral branches to form braces.

Personally I think these observations of Eucalypts in Australia provide us with an insight into what trees are capable of if left to their own devises and provided with the opportunity to adapt in their own time.

The issue is that our trees in the northern hemisphere are growing so much slower in comparison to us, and we do not give them the chance to do what they are adapted to do naturally. In Australia the tree species and climatic conditions (closer to the equator) allow for much faster adaptational development so we can actually observe these growth mechanisms and appreciate the capabilities of trees to deal with their own mechanical optimisation, without the need for intervention from a species that thinks it knows better……..

Regards, Andrew

PS. I would like to load the pdf's but the ArbTalk site will not allow me to do so at the moment. Will search for some photos later but do not have the time now.

PS. I would like to load the pdf's but the ArbTalk site will not allow me to do so at the moment. Will search for some photos later but do not have the time now.

Hello Andrew, hope things go well with you.

Maybe Steve can do something with the Pdf issue, guessing it's about size.

I'd certainly be facinated to see them as well as any photos you may have.

Are they tucked away on your site or in the Cowan Vaults?

I take it you noted the resinaceum on the Oak outside your stand at the Kent show.

How very appropriate :001_smile:

DSC07462.JPG.de02c3e0ef7b3058fda52b72fba0e0af.JPG

DSC07460.JPG.ab47967272d462edc37009c2d604c15a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant thread David, with some magnificent photos...it is truely aweinspiring to observe some of the adaptive growths that trees can produce.

Andrew...you should definately get some of the original pics off Cassian that went into his published articles whilst he is over there visiting, and 'working'.

Here are some shots from a Eucalyptus tereticornis with way too much time on its 'hands' imho. Dragged Andrew Cowan, David Lonsdale and others to this one when they were over here couple of years ago.

DSCF3911.JPG.49ebd82d1438e78d5cc3bfe90a27bc5e.JPG

DSCF1520.JPG.7d095ae0bb626a1f9d8bc01baac8a6b7.JPG

DSCF1525.jpg.59a159d6a15e506502955544a4f0e879.jpg

DSCF1522.jpg.4ebffa26b261640b97af3b924e1531ab.jpg

DSCF3906.JPG.1bd4ac06bff7e151c546ba5740d50b49.JPG

Hi Steve,

I wish I could give a definative answer to the what is it question:001_smile:

I pestered D Lonsdale until he gave me his take on it, as previously suggested on the turkey oak earlier in the thread he felt it would most likely be initiated by a bacterial infection, but did feel that there was a genetic predisposition element included in the mix.

I don't know if the high degree of grafting going on in this tree is part of the explanation, it could be.

I have certainly seen smaller odd protrubences on other E. tereticornis in the same area but nothing on the scale present in this tree. Other Arbs have reported seeing very similar growths on (a very few) individual trees elsewhere.