ID Quiz

John Hancock

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorbus bristoliensis, I reckons

In Hampstead, North London?

I think there's only about 300 of the bristoliensis.

I'm plumbing for Sorbus latifolia - The Service Tree of Fontainebleau

Hybrid of S. aria & S. torminalis

The only thing that's puzzling me is the height

As is evident in the first shot, it is searching for light through very dense canopy.

59765426d7c5f_Copy(2)ofDSC01111.JPG.7bcf468b85a2e27cad29b97f3e8cc988.JPG

I don't think it is Sorbus latifolia. Your book and my one describe the leaves as being as broad as they are long, I've just google imaged this, which I think shows what is more typical for the leaf shape:

European Mountain-ash - Sorbus latifolia

I read somewhere that sorbus is one for having lots and lots of local forms so it might be something odder.

I don't think it is Sorbus latifolia. Your book and my one describe the leaves as being as broad as they are long, I've just google imaged this, which I think shows what is more typical for the leaf shape:

European Mountain-ash - Sorbus latifolia

I read somewhere that sorbus is one for having lots and lots of local forms so it might be something odder.

Interesting point Giles, you may be right.

there were many variations in leaf broadness over the canopy, much like the last shot on your link.

Will chase this some more me thinks.

Ftr, I tend not to trust books entirely :001_smile:

Interesting points there- i know what you mean about books- in two different books the colour and shape of s.latifolia leaves appears different, and looking at the pic in the book in your post he image is slightly different again. I would say that the broadness of the lower part of the s.latifolia seems a little more pronounced than on the leaf you have photo'ed, which seems to turn in more at the bottom- more oval as opposed to wider toward the base. Also, are the indents forming the lobes pronounced enough to be s.latifolia. Books!:confused1:Maybe it is a local variant?:001_smile: