Aerial rescue in a REAL emergency

Andy Collins

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do many companies practice rescue/first aid on a regular bassis.

I feel that our ongoing risk an site assesments coupled with the lack of fiscal pressure, does actually provide a safer environment for my team to carry out our core tasks.

However, I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that we are immune to the exposure of the unforseen.

So we carry out aerial rescue practice every three to four months.

Additionally I will be researching Arb specific First Aid training this year, as opposed to the generic type cuurently provided

How ready are we to tackle a real scenario?

Only the reality of a situation and time itself, will tell.

Edited by Monkey-D

well done, i'd work with you anytime. a slight problem i've noticed, we're coming up to a new spring/summer season when things start to pick up (god willing) some places get so busy that practice is seen a luxury also taking on inexperienced ground staff who don't know what to do.

I think Andy if you look back through the HSE incident lists it's nearly always the fire brigade that get the dubious task of aerial rescue.

Dave - Try mountaineering organisations as their first aid courses include a roped rescue element that maybe could be adapted ?

In my experience -never, unless I initiated it. Most companies dont seem to bother. Except utility arb companies-dunno why.

K

( Dont believe the Fire Service are qualified to rescue us neither -have you seen their ticket for this ?)

Edited by Khriss
Cos I rememberd stuff

never done one in real life although been close a couple of times

we have a full day practice every 6 months and look at new techniques and thrash out strange ideas and sinarios

But i honestly feel out of the 8 lads i work with that there are 3 lads i would prefere to rescue me rather than the others

one of my clients owns a fair sized firm-4 crews of 2, they practice arial rescue every 3 months & they also grade the dificulty of a climb & the resque when quoting & on the RA. Very interesting as some easy climbs can make a dificult resque such as pole resques?

How would you rescue some1 from a 20' conifer hedge?

have you ever practiced this?

have you ever practiced a pole rescue?

I once had to rescue a climber who got the willies on a pole & went into koala bear mode; not only was the rigging of the rescue not too easy but i had to get him to release the tree from his koala grip!!!!!

Prehaps any future arb based FA training could include actors as casualties? My wife is an LD nurse & their training included 100's of acted senarios (not that anything can quite prepair you for getting people int ECA (padded cells) for real!)