Lucombe oak root health help !

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for how long soil compaction has been going on for i would say good 50 years of heavy compaction may be more.

If there have been many years of activity that you'd expect to compact the soil then I'd say that either the soil is pretty sandy so compaction is not becoming a major issue in terms of water percolation, or the tree has sent out roots a long way from the stem so that it is taking its moisture from where it is available. Possibly a combination of both.

The way to know if the soil is so compacted that the tree will struggle is to get the soil tested for its bulk density. Send some off to a lab.

Mr Shute is a great guy - I'm sure he will help.

If there have been many years of activity that you'd expect to compact the soil then I'd say that either the soil is pretty sandy so compaction is not becoming a major issue in terms of water percolation, or the tree has sent out roots a long way from the stem so that it is taking its moisture from where it is available. Possibly a combination of both.

The way to know if the soil is so compacted that the tree will struggle is to get the soil tested for its bulk density. Send some off to a lab.

Mr Shute is a great guy - I'm sure he will help.

Sorry if i'm being a bit dense, it's been a rough weekend. Can a lab test for bulk density? I thought that was tested in situ with a penetrometer (sp?) What is the lab testing for?

I'm not trying to nit-pick but I'm not following what your saying Paul.:thumbup1:

Sorry if i'm being a bit dense, it's been a rough weekend. Can a lab test for bulk density? I thought that was tested in situ with a penetrometer (sp?) What is the lab testing for?

I'm not trying to nit-pick but I'm not following what your saying Paul.:thumbup1:

In the lab they dry soil in ovens before measuring.

http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/assessment/files/test_kit_complete.pdf

As you suggest, onsite assessment can be good too. With soils as mixed up as these, lab tests may have limited usefulness.

No problem...I had to double-check I wasn't spouting rubbish when you asked:biggrin:

I believe lab soil tests can determine bulk density as long as they have a good sample - in order that they can measure the dry-weight of a known volume. I think in practice this means collecting a profile using a tube that needs to be completely full - as sort of explained here: Testing for Bulk Density of Soil | eHow

The reason I suggested a lab test rather than a penetrometer was because I assumed this may be less onerous on the college - perhaps easier to collect a core and send it off than find a penetrometer. Perhaps not though?

The college have decided to fence of the whole area.:thumbup:

We are going to hire an Airspade and decompact the soil around as much of the RPA as we can.

The college have now realised that need to consider the enormous value that trees have, they have also said how educational the whole project has been for them and I hope the legacy I have left carry’s on.

It’s a victory for me, you, everyone and the environment.

If you are persistent and believe in what you are doing with a passion, you can change the world.

:001_smile: