My first ever crown reduction

brian hegarty

Done my first ever complete reduction on an ash tree this morning. I've never seen it being done, ive only ever read about it or spoke about it with other tree workers (there isn't much call for it where I am) so I was kind of winging it. Let me know if its an allright job or if I made a pure ass of it. Thanks

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370092624.716026.jpg.08abb589ffc2a897dd9121991adab882.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370092675.522027.jpg.b91cdf91982dc30eb3472da7d698d587.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's more of a crown thin, although its not a great tree to reduce without it looking very bare at 30%. When in doubt do what is best for the tree, in 3 years time that one will want a cheeky little pollard unless you fancy reducing it with a cherry picker lol.

I'd have "topped it down" (whatever that means) if thats what they wanted. Crappy tree anyway. A heavy reduction now and a pollard later followed by a fell.

Were they happy with it and did you get paid?

I'd have "topped it down" (whatever that means) if thats what they wanted. Crappy tree anyway. A heavy reduction now and a pollard later followed by a fell.

Were they happy with it and did you get paid?

Skip to step three! :thumbup1:

Its a bit of an ugly bugger to start with sop you are up against it from the off . You have thinned it rather than reduce but you have done a good job with what you have to work with . Looking at the growth from the the thicker limbs I would say its been pollarded before .

Did you get paid or where they unhappy?

With a crappy tree like that sometimes its just best to do whats asked IMO. Keep the fancy pruning for something that will come out nicley and will be appreciated by its owners and neighbours etc for years to come.