land rover 110 design concept

Colin_Foster

hello all, new to the forum and the arb industry. Im currently finishing up a level 3 at Sparsholt, to cut a long story short I have been given an end of year project which has to relate to arboriculture (was a fairly vague assignment breif leaving us open to do what we wanted :confused1: ), I decided I wanted to create a design for a works vehicle.

The vehicle I based my project on was a Land Rover 110, which I plan on getting soon to use as my arb truck. Hopefully, if I have uploaded the pictures right, you guys will be able to see what my design would be for a work truck. Im aiming for the truck to be as versatile as possible, yet still practical. It would also have winch and other gizmos.

What I'm asking of you all is to chip in and comment on what you think of the truck good or bad, any changes you'd make or any thing you think would not be practical. This would help me out hugely in my evaluation part of my college project, and eventually when i get round to making it. Any comments are welcome and much appreciated.

597664dd79f21_FinallandroverdesignLEFTside.jpg.3e86cebfcaa75f1da6e9db1f409bae22.jpg

597664dd7bff0_FinallandroverdesignREARRIGHT.jpg.bd636099ac2b7e661d7967213eb2d8a7.jpg

597664dd7d979_FinallandroverdesignRightside.jpg.4b41732eb7fccb4ff3471a9c69ad19e3.jpg

597664dd7fe92_FinallandroverdesignLockerboxreveal.jpg.f4d9f01d6b01bcd1f2a0fcf06aba17de.jpg

No real load area - I assume from the pics the bed would be a similar size to a 90 pickup? Ok for a bale of hay, but you won't get many logs/chip on there.

Could you get away with losing the access ladder behind the doors? After all can always stand in bed or on bonnet to load if needs be.

Maybe some sort of changeable bar at the back, so when you need to carry longer ladders/hedge trimmers/sticks you can have it supported over the rear as well?

Also I'd suggest tailboard should be full width rather than the standard land rover design, mine used to have one of these and it was a pain to empty.

Other than that, looks good :thumbup:

Yeah I would mainly want to use it as a tool carrier, as I cant see my self doing an awful lot of private jobs straight out of college. I decided I wanted something with a flat bed on (even though its fairly small, its still larger than the bed of a 110 crew cab) just to cart the odd load of logs home for the fire or other such things.

Id plan on just using this and a high side trailer for brash or wood chip as i start up and then when I can afford the licence, I'd be aiming to get a vario tipper.

Thanks for all the input though so far, its some good points being mentioned.

it looks good but as other posts the back is to small to get anything in plus the wheel arches will collect rubbish like its going out of fashion. the tool part solid doors you can open and light fingers can not the roller shutters good jimy you be in and gear gone. plus you need room to get a strimmer in or pole saw.

i would base it on a 130 has a bigger back and the passenger bit wil be bigger so can get tools in. i would have a tipper on it. pain having to shovel out of back.

if tipper scissor lift with hydraulic ram. the roof rack ok for putting ladders and like on. would have a ladder rack on the tipper part so you can put long bits on and rope down. plenty of hooks to tie things down my truck i wish i had some hooks to tie things down. and i would have the chassis shot blasted and galved to stop it going rusty. just my views on what i look for in a truck.

IMO if you're actually going to make this into a vehicle as opposed to a computer project, lose the tool lockers altogether and just have a standard pickup as the base model. I'm sure tool lockers are nice on a Transit or Iveco, maybe even a single cab 130. But on a 110 you just can't afford to lose the space.

Saws on the back, a good chain to stop light fingers or even better make use of some of the wasted area on the standard pickup and make some saw boxes into the wheel arches, before and after the wheels (here's a technical diagram of what I mean :laugh1:).

Even if you lost the ladders and moved the roller doors forward, you'd still gain a bit more load space.

Also, those black bars on the back - what are they for? Are you going to be doing that much off roading you need a roll cage, it looks like it would be in the way when trying to load timber/brash from the side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to help - I love projects like this :biggrin: just got my 110 almost how I want it now!

Cheers,

Joe

landy2.jpg.1a9200031bedd279443d379c9511d2fa.jpg

landy.jpg.73cfdb685c89465fa2527bdea6799505.jpg

Even if you lost the ladders and moved the roller doors forward, you'd still gain a bit more load space.

In this the locker box is as far farward as possible as the back of the front seats come back past the door pillar so having the lader doesnt effect the positioning of the locker box, but I do see where all of you are coming from and ideally I would have baised this on a 130 but they seem to be a fair bit more expencive.

The size of the bed in the back of my design is just under 1.3m in length and just over 1.5m in width. The bars going along the back were there with the potential of having fibreglass sheets put in if the occational small bit of chip or wood needed to be carted off. I wouldnt have thought you would be able to fill much more then that size befor going over the weight limit with tools as well.

As reguards to security, I wouldnt be leaving tools in over night. Pole saws and other long things were ideally going to go on the roof. But again this vehicle would primarily be used as a tool carrier and any segnificant amount of waste would be going in a trailer.

It might be a bit over designed or pointless as just a tool carrier but I seem to have a tendancy of making things just because I havnt seen it done like that before. :001_tt2:

I think it come form having built and raced hovercraft all my life

me.jpg.ead94eb801811e0878fee007833850f9.jpg

Mines the black one incase you were wondering! :thumbup1:

Still, really appreciate the different veiws so far, I can already see a re-think/re-design is in order!