Starting small...

Little Butch

At the moment I've only got a 106 diesel, not quite sure if I could get away with putting the seats down, filling the back right up and then towing a small trailer? Or there's a possibility of using my dads 110 defender pickup.

How much cubic metres does the back of a 110 hold?

I used to use a 106 diesel for everything. Logs, gardening, forestry, they're awesome cars and very very good offroad with the right tires. All the brake and fuel lines are internal so nothing to rip off :thumbup:

I used to deliver 1.2 cube in two loads in a decent ally single axle trailer. It towed beautifully, and was well within the 700KG car towing limit. £60 for half the trailer, £100 a cube.

It's also worth nothing that this keeps you 100% legal, the trailer is under 750KG.

Cost wise it was brilliant. I did a thirty mile round trip fairly regularly. Three years ago that trip in the 106 with trailer to sell £120 of logs cost exactly £4.90 in diesel. Once I did the trip in a mates Hilux- more than double the diesel cost for a little more speed and street cred.

I wouldn't put any logs in a 106 (though i have in the past! :lol:) The rear torsion bars are a weak point, and if you load it too much you will end up with the tyres rubbing against the rear arches. Wheel spacers will only alleviate this problem for so long! Stick with the trailer- as shown above it can be very profitable.

Something like this

155/80R13 Kingpin Mud & Snow Tyres order online from Tyres Direct

Will give you AMAZING grip offroad and in rain/snow on the road. I ran Fedimas (similar) for two years and never even a puncture. So cheap too.

HTH

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use a 106 diesel for everything. Logs, gardening, forestry, they're awesome cars and very very good offroad with the right tires. All the brake and fuel lines are internal so nothing to rip off :thumbup:

I used to deliver 1.2 cube in two loads in a decent ally single axle trailer. It towed beautifully, and was well within the 700KG car towing limit. £60 for half the trailer, £100 a cube.

It's also worth nothing that this keeps you 100% legal, the trailer is under 750KG.

Cost wise it was brilliant. I did a thirty mile round trip fairly regularly. Three years ago that trip in the 106 with trailer to sell £120 of logs cost exactly £4.90 in diesel. Once I did the trip in a mates Hilux- more than double the diesel cost for a little more speed and street cred.

I wouldn't put any logs in a 106 (though i have in the past! :lol:) The rear torsion bars are a weak point, and if you load it too much you will end up with the tyres rubbing against the rear arches. Wheel spacers will only alleviate this problem for so long! Stick with the trailer- as shown above it can be very profitable.

Something like this

Will give you AMAZING grip offroad and in rain/snow on the road. I ran Fedimas (similar) for two years and never even a puncture. So cheap too.

HTH

Surely towing a cube of logs, which weighs roughly 750kg itself, would put you over the 750kg limit when you add on the weight of the trailer itself? :confused1:

Surely towing a cube of logs, which weighs roughly 750kg itself, would put you over the 750kg limit when you add on the weight of the trailer itself? :confused1:

A cube of loose logs is nowhere near that amount. Perhaps you are confusing that with the weight of a solid cube of timber? :001_smile:

I'd say about 400kg for a loose cube of seasoned hardwood.

I weighed 10 well seasoned 0.6cube bags of Ash and Elm, they averaged out at 260kgs each. I am buying the wood off the land owner at £40t and I said before weighing the bags there is around a tenners worth of wood in them bags, not a bad guess!

Something like this

HTH

I've decided against doing it now, haven't got the time as I work weekends as well now but those tyres look awesome... Need a couple of new ones so I'm tempted to get those :001_tt2: