Winches

desired_affect

Id tirfor them, my woory with the chainsaw winch is the winch could stall and kickback
:dito: also you'd be down a chainsaw if anything went wrong with any of the others and a tirfor is quite a precision tool, you would be able to hold pieces in place whilst they were lifted to clear the bank.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tirfor is a precision engineering lifting tool. I could'nt think of anything WORSE to use for recovering branches from a river. It would be a very good way of loosing money...

my woory with the chainsaw winch is the winch could stall and kickback

Not really sure what you mean here. how could it do this?

How big are the branches? You want to look for a way of elevating them as they exit the moat, otherwise they'll just dig into the bank, and make your life very hard and that of the winch.

there about 25+ foot long and at the widest as big as a car hubcap. He is wanting them off because he is worried the whole tree is going to go into the moat pulling his wall over and maybe some other trees aswell.

We have looked at hiring a mog but thats £500 for the day so we were thinking could we get a winch for that money and have it to use again.

A cheap boat if any one has one would be nice if not it looks like ill be going for a swim to get the bits already laying in there tied on and out.

i have a tow hitch mounted super winch on the back of my defender that i use for exactly what you describe if you can get a vehicle close to, i use mine for winching alder butts up river banks in blocks of about 4-6ft lengths in the bigger size you describe smaller stuff it will pull up in whole trunks if about 12"diameter, total cost with wiring and mountings was about £240 and about an hour to fit the wiring to the back. Its also handy for medium stuff leaning the wrong way.

Its earnt its money back many times over in time saved and work that its allowed me to carry out on the river banks, if your interested i will try and find some pics of it

yeah there is a farmers field along the length of it. so your really talking about zip lining it down????

No - If there are trees still standing which i presume there are as you say branches have been removed, set up one og your lowering pulleys in a tree ( about 10' back from the waters edge is poss) run your lowering rope (or other suitable line lol) through the block.

One of you jump in the water in chest waders and timber hitch the butt end of the branches, reverse your 4x4 / tractor up to the pulley tree attatch rope and drive off slowly. Branch will be lifted clear of the water, the reverse slowly to drop the branch on the river bank.

I have done this countless times, to lock off the rope use half hitches over the vehicles tow hitch.

It is cheap and easy to set up, if you get more like this invest in a winch like Charlie suggested. I used to work on inland waterways and we did this all the time all be it with a 3 ton 360 on the rope.

Best of luck, Matt.

No - If there are trees still standing which i presume there are as you say branches have been removed, set up one og your lowering pulleys in a tree ( about 10' back from the waters edge is poss) run your lowering rope (or other suitable line lol) through the block.

One of you jump in the water in chest waders and timber hitch the butt end of the branches, reverse your 4x4 / tractor up to the pulley tree attatch rope and drive off slowly. Branch will be lifted clear of the water, the reverse slowly to drop the branch on the river bank.

I have done this countless times, to lock off the rope use half hitches over the vehicles tow hitch.

It is cheap and easy to set up, if you get more like this invest in a winch like Charlie suggested. I used to work on inland waterways and we did this all the time all be it with a 3 ton 360 on the rope.

Best of luck, Matt.

rite i understand what you mean and how it works, but lol under the trees the river and wall are either side of the tree. every thing is going to have to come up out and over on to the field side the other side of the river and there are no trees that side.