Buying a forwarder

County 764

1210s are solid little forwarders, well infarct their quite big. I didn't like the one i had to drive as it was 6 wheeled and i can't be dealing with that, not when there were 8 wheeled machines on site.

No problem with the machine really. Like all old forwarders check for wear on the center joint, play in steering cylinders and for any odd noises coming from the work pump. Especially the work pump as its a PITA to do one in the field.

Valmet 820 is what you really want if your going into that era of forwarder but they're getting rarer and rarer in good nick.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valmet 820 is what you really want if your going into that era of forwarder but they're getting rarer and rarer in good nick.

What's to look out for on one? They still have manual gear change over the torque converter don't they. I'm seriously looking at one festering in a wood but don't know what it will take to get it accepted by clients, lack of provable conformity made my 1164 unacceptable to all but small landowners.

What's to look out for on one? They still have manual gear change over the torque converter don't they. I'm seriously looking at one festering in a wood but don't know what it will take to get it accepted by clients, lack of provable conformity made my 1164 unacceptable to all but small landowners.

Ask Highland Forestry on here. He has one and uses it a fair amount.

I've only ever used it in slow gear so i don't know about the gear box.

Things to check:

Crane - Should have a plate on it somewhere can show conformity ie reach, lift capacity, serial number etc. Even though it doesn't need to be LOLERd get it done. Just proves the pins, bushes etc are all ok and fit for purpose.

Base unit.

Cracks/wear in the centre joint.

Play in the steering cylinders and leaks from.

Cracks in the chassis

ROPS/FOPS/OPS in the cab somewhere there will be a plate giving details of the safety cab.

Window condition make sure all the marguard pannels fit in the windows properly.

Leakings from the valve block.

If the gearbox has a hydraulic gear shift check the oil isn't leaking from one to the other.

Reduction hubs full of oil

Really if you have the safety cab data and the crane data you'll be put together a case of it being fit for purpose with LOLER/PUWER bits of paper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...