So, How did you get in to Arboriculture/Forestry

kmac

I spent most of my working life in manufacturing got made redundant, retrained as an accident investigator, got the big 'c', had treatment during which time I was made redundant again, got well again and a colleague of my wife, her husband was looking for some help starting his tree company so one day a week soon turned into five, after two years started college to do NPTC's and RFS and haven't looked back.

Do my own thing now, a bit of tree work, a bit of carving, I don't think I could go back to a 9-5.

It has its ups and downs and there are weeks when you want to sell all your kit and do something else.

When you get saw chips in your pants, its hard to get them out.

A years scheme on nature reserves in Essex, where I did a chainsaw course. After that, cos I enjoyed the saws I wrote to every tree firm within 30 miles. Started climbing in Teversham, Cambridge before marrying and coming up north. Worked for private contractors, ran my own business - ex-wife screwed that:sneaky2:, council tree team, freelance climber and now managing (but still climbing:thumbup:).

I didn't know when I started I'd still be doing it 30yrs later, but it's all I've ever done. Knowing what I know now, I think I'd still have done it:lol: can't say that I've enjoyed every minute of it but there's a lot worse ways to make a living.

To make it quite short had a fair amount trouble during teen years in and out of trouble with the law and from that gained certs in landscape machinary and gardening seeked out a job after the trouble i got into settled in landscape gardening the boss was an arb and let me have a go at climbing and using the saw so through having the love for heights and climbing swinging just fell in love went to college and stuck with some poor tree jobs and through cack things have gotten better and met some great arb lads along the way :thumbup: top stuff

after years of workin in my dads grocery store he got a offer he could not refuse so he sold up I started doing fencing & decking ( used to be in building trade with dad before shop ) one fence job I had to remove some trees to make way for fence . cut them down myself and was hooked . worked hard and got my tickets am now workin for myself and lovin every min .