DRT setup on Petzl Sequoia

DrSteeeve

I usually have it away from me because then it keeps the handle away from the rope end, might change that if I can make the space.

Just ordered a few bits so will put a pic up once I've come to a conclusion.

Thanks for all the ideas!

You could also turn the ID round the other way so that the lever is facing away from you lol.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That backup sling from your hand ascender to ya belt ring, your thinking if the Petzl ID fails you have backup. that looks like knots tied in the sling to me, your ID fails when you pulled right up to the pulley with max slack on the sling, your going straight down, snap bang on ya arse. change the sling for rope.

Rubbish!!!

Thats not a back up sling, its ( as the doc says) to stop him losing the ascender. The ascender is only there to hold the pulley in order to give the 4;1 advantage, no other purpose and definatly not a back up. and if it were theres no reason that a knotted sling will fail (depending on the rating of the sling of course) .

The ID is actually one of the safest devices out there, more so than a gri gri, so it doesnt need a back up.

It i true that a big fall would rip it to shreds, but as you say the ID is pretty sturdy so it's not really an issue.

That said I am going to swap the sling for a petzl Jane strop so I CAN use it as a back up.

If I ever needed to change ropes and couldn't strop on to anything it would free up the ID!

There... Even criticism can be helpful!

Lol, the same as the rest of you, if I'm lucky ill chuck a throw line up and put my cambium saver in, if not I just chuck a bundle over a branch.

If you mean how the rig works YouTube a RADS or YOYO setup. It's about he same.

Why don't you just use a rads system the ID is better suited to it, whilst grais has a point there is a reason we all climb on virtually the same system, and its not because we like to make our lives hard for the hell of it, I to lack upper body strength I try not to use my arms as these do not take wear and tear due to the complexities of the joints and the muscles are more prone to fatigue compared to our legs.

A rads system will allow you to sit stand to ascend using mostly your leg muscles (its a good idea to alternate the leg you use) your system just looks overly complicated utilising kit in a way it's not really intended even if there is no real issue safety wise.

Buying a swivel whilst they are good I would not want to be doing 360 spins with what going on in front of you but if you have money to burn go for it.

It i true that a big fall would rip it to shreds, but as you say the ID is pretty sturdy so it's not really an issue.

That said I am going to swap the sling for a petzl Jane strop so I CAN use it as a back up.

If I ever needed to change ropes and couldn't strop on to anything it would free up the ID!

There... Even criticism can be helpful!

Although you shouldnt really be attached by just one ascender, they are an item that should be backed up.