running in a chainsaw

Joseph W

I run full throttle from word go, 50:1 and rarely take my finger off for the first few tanks, after that, the saw is a demon, did it with my 346 and my 560, I didn't buy the 550 as the demo saw didn't seem as good as my 346

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, there will be some roughness in both the new rings and the honing on the cylinder, you really need to bed both components in together fast before they get too smooth or coated in glaze and running the saw at maximum revs will do this but in short bursts to begin with to avoid excessive heat build up through friction.

Running saws at half speed isn't great as they are designed to be flat out (WOT) or on idle and slow running in may glaze the bore without the ring/piston bedding in properly.

On dawgs/dogs....got them fitted on many saws but only ever use them on big cuts on bigger saws - on a saw this size, it should self feed through the timber without using them and they do afford some protection to the front of the saw/muffler.

Having a new saw tickover for its first tank of fuel is just about the worst thing you could do to run it in. I suppose running it without 2 stroke oil could be worse.

You need to rev it hard to get the rings bedded in and giving a good seal.

Very interesting article on running in a new engine (if you are into that sort of thing)

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

You can use the dawgs to level the saw and line up cuts but maybe that's just confusing and different cutting style but there ya go

I watched a great video, i think by reg coates? on making the cuts line up for the gob by using the dogs thinking about it so i'll give them a go! thank you

As per my previous post - run it hard BUT GIVE IT A BREAK especially on its first few tankfulls - you will build up a lot of heat if you run it through a 2' lump of wood in the first 5 mins of running.

A few short cuts of 12" dia are the way to go but just take note of the initial auto tune setup!

I run full throttle from word go, 50:1 and rarely take my finger off for the first few tanks, after that, the saw is a demon, did it with my 346 and my 560, I didn't buy the 550 as the demo saw didn't seem as good as my 346

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

A man with my way of thinking lol.

The main thing is not to glaze the bores as Spud says, no excessive heat etc but on the other hand you don't want it sat at a fixed rpm whatever that may be as that will glaze it up to.

My attitude although prob wrong is used it as its meant to be used and don't think about it being a new saw, just avoid extended long cuts, if it goes wrong its under guarantee.

Being autotune it prob wont run its best to start anyway as they take a few tanks to get themselves dialled in.