Burning wood chips in a log burning stove?

ChissayLuke

Hi, I have ready and free access to brushwood and small branch wood.

I am wondering about chipping and drying this to burn on my log burning stove.

Would this work?

Some advice has been that it would choke the fire, some that it would help it stay 'in' overnight by burning slowly, and some that (given airflow) it would burn really quickly!

Anyone here have any thoughts.

And any advice on a petrol chipper to produce this? I'd like heavy-duty domestic to junior professional. Budget £1-2.5K.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and input.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that the chips only burn well if you have lots of logs of even pallet wood already burning. They can help to keep it in overnight but the results are very inconsistent as they depend massively on the other wood used. Have you considered one of the sm70 chippers that cut small logs into chunks as I think they would burn much better than normal chip.

Thanks Tucky

Thanks, Tucky.

I have plenty of logs too, mostly oak, so getting the fire burning well before putting chips on is easy.

I'm really just trying to (a) make use of the free brushwood/small diameter stuff and (b) help keep it in overnight.

The log burner is in France, where gas prices are really steep, so every joule of warmth I can create for free is one I don't have to buy gas to run the central heating in the morning!

Luke.

the only concern i would see is on a small stove as the chips heat up and give off the first burn to woodgas if too much chip on it may blow and in a small air tight stove where would that "explosion" of wood gas go ?

just my thoughts

joy

as wood burns in three stages gas. wood then charcoal

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I use sawdust or woodchip in my greenhouse overnight burner. The secret to keeping it burning is airflow. I designed my own burner using 2 x 45 gallon drums but the main part is the core which holds the sawdust and woodchip. I found the metal insert of industrial air filters ideal as the mesh is small enough to hold the sawdust and chip but still allow good airflow. I dont see why a similar air filter would not work in your stove.