vertical step cut

elicokiz

Hi Dave, got this doing 39 with Tony... lantra book he produces...

In the pic the branch is viewed from the top.. hope this,works cos I've done it on my phone.. scanner can be used later if not..

Can also bring this book into college for ya

1366107239363.jpg.40f6684ea11441751b82ea410a4ed220.jpg

Edited by MWArb
tried to rotate pic... fail lol

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see me doing many fo them... the good thing about teh step cut hand held where you finish with an horizontal undercut is that if the piece of branch to be removed wants to fall off before you wwere expecting it, the cut closes on the saw and not onto a gap; the restriction in movement prevents the step breaking which it otherwise would. You can then stop the saw and get one hand on the piece before pulling the saw out and doing the snap with both hands. If you do this vertical step cut you lose all this control. Personally I have never bemoaned not being able to waggle the step sideways instead of down or upways.

I can't see me doing many fo them... the good thing about teh step cut hand held where you finish with an horizontal undercut is that if the piece of branch to be removed wants to fall off before you wwere expecting it, the cut closes on the saw and not onto a gap; the restriction in movement prevents the step breaking which it otherwise would. You can then stop the saw and get one hand on the piece before pulling the saw out and doing the snap with both hands. If you do this vertical step cut you lose all this control. Personally I have never bemoaned not being able to waggle the step sideways instead of down or upways.

I use the vertical steps all the time because I find I have more control not less.

The branch won't break off before you want it to, which is always a risk with doing under then over. I would get fed up with the saw getting stuck doing over the under!

Maybe i wasn't clear. Over then under is a step cut for free fall. If you do it outboard it can take the saw with it but otherwise no problem. Over then under only gets the bar pinched of you cut too far, it's an additional protection against losing the piece. Most of the time over then under is straightforward and the bar comes out no bother.

I think I just don't like using saws vertically, somehow it seems less controlled. And it is unusual to be in a position to be able to see through the cuts to be able to check you have got the step right. With horizontal cuts this is usually easy and at about eye level.

I'll give it a try though sometime.

In the pic the branch is viewed from the top.. hope this,works cos I've done it on my phone.. scanner can be used later if not..

Thanks for posting this something simple yet didn't know an exact method for it. One question though, would this work for any species when done correctly?

Thanks Martyn

that clears it up 100% , will drop you a PM tomorrow if i get chance :laugh1:

regards

Dave:thumbup:

Thanks for posting this something simple yet didn't know an exact method for it. One question though, would this work for any species when done correctly?

From what I know and have tested myself yes but I have little experience, what I can tell you is the bigger the wood the harder it can be to break it sideways as the up down allows you to work with the weight of the piece.. my own experience :D

From what I know and have tested myself yes but I have little experience, what I can tell you is the bigger the wood the harder it can be to break it sideways as the up down allows you to work with the weight of the piece.. my own experience :D

Would you want to be holding by hand something that big? :confused::D

Would you want to be holding by hand something that big? :confused::D

I wasn't taking massive but your point is a valid one on horizontal stuff:thumbup:... I was thinking more of chogging or blocking down something with a lean.. again all my own opinion, there are guys with decades more exp here, wood characteristics is something I'm still learning :D