Aero rescue

dodger

Aero rescue, when I did my aero rescue course I was told like others when you get them to ground you must put the injury person in the recovery position

But when we did our renewal first aid course the other day they said when you aero rescue someone that wearing a harness you must put them in a crouch position, we ask why because as we was told different in our aero rescue course, the red cross and medical board in the states and uk have now recognise that by putting a person that has been hanging from a harness for more that 3 minutes can die from, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) especial if you put them in the recovery position you can kill them, you must put them in a crouch position

The Red Cross and medical broad has written to assessment broad many months ago but they are on deaf ears, the way most of us have been taught can atually kill someone, thinking your doing right it as you been taught that way, and they still teach them at aero rescue courses to use the recovery position

Edited by dodger

Generally aerial rescue is to get someone out of the tree, by which time you should have paramedics on hand to deal with them.

Having said that, anything you can do to help them on the ground is good, but will depend on what has happened to them.

If you get called to a rescue and no one knows how long they have been hanging then recovery position may not be right but you hope that ambulance is virtually there by then so its not your problem.

If the accident has just happened and ambulance is miles away then recovery position will do for now!

Generally aerial rescue is to get someone out of the tree, by which time you should have paramedics on hand to deal with them.

Having said that, anything you can do to help them on the ground is good, but will depend on what has happened to them.

If you get called to a rescue and no one knows how long they have been hanging then recovery position may not be right but you hope that ambulance is virtually there by then so its not your problem.

If the accident has just happened and ambulance is miles away then recovery position will do for now!

the medical board and st johns said by putting a person in a recovery position after 3 minutes hanging from a harness there much great risk he or her will die of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), in most countrys they put the victim in the crouch position, the medical board in the uk have advice the hse and assessment broad to use the crouch position at no veil, it will cost lives

i would adivce anyone to speak to anyone in the medical field on this as many have been miss lead

Aero rescue, when I did my aero rescue course I was told like others when you get them to ground you must put the injury person in the recovery position

But when we did our renewal first aid course the other day they said when you aero rescue someone that wearing a harness you must put them in a crouch position, we ask why because as we was told different in our aero rescue course, the red cross and medical board in the states and uk have now recognise that by putting a person that has been hanging from a harness for more that 3 minutes can die from, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) especial if you put them in the recovery position you can kill them, you must put them in a crouch position

The Red Cross and medical broad has written to assessment broad many months ago but they are on deaf ears, the way most of us have been taught can atually kill someone, thinking your doing right it as you been taught that way, and they still teach them at aero rescue courses to use the recovery position

when did you do your aero rescue course

As others have said I'd hope there would be an ambulance waiting as I was being lowered to the ground. Is it about 7mins that they're supposed to get to you in.

Out of interest how long do people think it would honestly take to rescue someone. I've thought about this a bit, get harness out of truck....., put it on, get rope into tree -whilst trying to rush and getting it wrong. Get up to casualty then get them down I reckon it would take me more than 7mins. I'd hope I could cut my prussic and be lowered by the groundsman.

Rob

when did you do your aero rescue course

i done my aero rescue appox 8 years ago, just done my first aid course what was a refeasher about couple months ago that when we found out they are still teaching the first aid part in aero rescue wrong,

when i go into work tomorrow i get the address and phone no of the medical team that have whritten to hse and the assessment teams and he can explain it to you all clearer

hi guys and gals i hope i can spead a little light on this issue

hear is a link to the hse web site

http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/harness.htm

now the issue hear is that a number of medical teams in hospitals mountin rescue etc are convinced that the affects of harness suspension trauma are resposnible for 200+ deaths in the last few years rather than other injuries, the hse have to look at a broad picture and while they recognise the condition exists they use a genneral approach.

the sines of HST are similar to shock with pins and needesl etc and are more common in people with a dorsal attachment hanning MOTIONLESS upright, so the 1st have a rescuplan, a decent one and kit and practise it to ensure help and rescue happens quick and safe, i think your mesure should be if an accident happens can i get them down in 15 mins or less

2 thing is our stile of harness are not the worst, if you invert you wont suffer HST but a lot of other things instead.....

3if the casulty can move get them to wiggle flex legs rest on a branch

semi recumbrant is a good poition to sit casultie in but managing an air way in that position takes practise and is vital help is on the way.

the reson for hse gudance is if you are not practised in the above then in genneral terms recov positon gives best chance to maintain an effective airway, witch is the thing most likly to kill you.

the work at heigh regs say you should have fa training if you work at height that includes HST eliment so make sure it does, our courses do.

and of cource, train properly, do a proper risk assessment plan the job, put your best people on the job, ignore the voice in your head saying that will be allright, or ill only just........ and avoid the accident in the first place

cheers

kev

ps on the ambulance sid eof things this is still an issue that some trusts and services have not embraceed, arr the NHS post code lottery

kev