Noob welding

Brett

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For doing professional repairs, really you need a 3 phase MIG set.. The new inverted sets are fantastic, and you can use MIG for welding very thin sheet right up to inch or even inch and a half plate - the bigger the parent material, the higher amps and bigger wire you need to run, with multiple passes etc.

For DIY stuff, an arc set if probably best as the smaller single phase mig sets that use the gassless wire are pretty much a waste of time unless you really know what you are doing.

Tip: Using an arc set, starting the rod is easier if you strike it like a match, and you pull the rod through your weld - it should sound like bacon sizzling in a pan and you're set up about right.

Using a MIG, you push the wire through your weld

Good luck burning stuff :)

Tip: Using an arc set, starting the rod is easier if you strike it like a match, and you pull the rod through your weld - it should sound like bacon sizzling in a pan and you're set up about right.

Using a MIG, you push the wire through your weld

Good luck burning stuff :)

Good tip to remember and so frustrating when you see people doing the opposite and then wander why there weld isn't smooth.

well that's me out of my first set of rods, not a natural talent but think i'm starting to get the idea - get the current set just so, so you are just more or less 'laying' the rod down at the right speed as it burns.

welding brake discs together and then testing by jumping on them is actually more fun than i would have imagined.

well that's me out of my first set of rods, not a natural talent but think i'm starting to get the idea - get the current set just so, so you are just more or less 'laying' the rod down at the right speed as it burns.

welding brake discs together and then testing by jumping on them is actually more fun than i would have imagined.

Nah, what you're doing by doing that is just wasting the rod.

The strength of a weld comes from the make-up of the weld pool, which is why you use techniques like 'weaving' in order to get the weld to wett out, or lap up to the parent material.

If you just lay the rod down into the weld as it arcs, then you will get alot of under-cut, and essentially you're just burning rods.

When pulling the rod into the weld, try pushing it forward a few mm, then pull back 10mm, then forward a few mm again and pull back again... it will give you a far better weld.

>>>><<>>>><<>>>><<>>>><<>>>><<>>>><<>>>>