Hydrating

Warren Stirling

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Through thirst mate, not dehydration! Like someone said above humans can go a long way without water, but dehydration will occur eventually, if you thirsty have a drink.

If we are hungry we are not starving? Same as with water, if we are thirsty we drink, but we are not dying!

Sorry Rupe but have to disagree, when I'm sweating my t..s off and find myself getting confused and clumsy I've gone past being thirsty and I would call it mild dehrdration. I'm losing more fluids than I'm consuming.So I suppose you could call it life and death decisions your clumsily making when wielding a chainsaw up a tree. I have a lot of experience of exercise and correct hydration and little and often is the best way, hence the camelback idea as I dont like stopping the whole operation to pull another bottle up.

Anyway, cheers for your input and glad this thread has relieved some of your boredom. :001_tt2:

Warren

I do agree with you, keep drinking, little and often, I do it myself, same as when I'm hungry I eat. I just think the whole "I'm dehydrated" thing is a bit much.

Your thirsty, or very very thirsty, and yes that makes you bad at decision making, but its not life or death on the hydration point. If the chainsaw makes it life or death than thats different, if you cut your self because your very very thirsty then its not dehydration thats going to kill you its bleeding, thats a different medical condition.

As I said, I use camelbaks for sport and at work, its all good, I dont like getting thirsty.

Truely hope this never happens but if I found myself in hospital after cutting myself with the saw, it just doesnt sound right saying 'it happened because I was thirsty'.:blushing:

You are right though when it comes to companies exagerating the needs to hydrate with sugar loaded glow in the dark drinks. Water does the job

Gotta agree, when it's hot and you're thirsty, have a drink, all this hydrating malarkey is overthinking it a bit.

In Oz maybe, but on the two days in the UK (or two weeks out here) it get dangerously hot get your groundy to send up a bottle, drink it, tip a bit on your head, repeat every half hour.

No problem today, it's bucketing it down.

Truely hope this never happens but if I found myself in hospital after cutting myself with the saw, it just doesnt sound right saying 'it happened because I was thirsty'.:blushing:

You are right though when it comes to companies exagerating the needs to hydrate with sugar loaded glow in the dark drinks. Water does the job

That is my only real point I'm making. And every animal on the planet knows to drink water when thirsty. My dog manages it, so can I.

Thirst casues fatigue, and fatigue can cause accidents, so blame fatigue!

My groundie is way more anti marketing BS than me (remember I do own three camelbaks!!!) and he brings water in an old rum bottle. I had to say no to the smirnoff bottle he used to swig from when driving my truck around town, but water in a glass bottle is really nice.

So we dont need any of these products, just the water that goes in them, and from the TAP!!! We are not in the third world, we do not ever need to buy water in a plastic bottles. Evian is only french tap water! (probably isnt true but thats how I think of it!)

Just as a cautionary note, too much water is just as bad as not enough. You need to maintain a balance, or risk flushing the salts etc right out of your system. I'm an extreme example, I dehydrate typing this, my average daily intake is around 3litres of fluids, not just water. Add some isotonic powder to your drinks if you need a lot on a hot day, it's cheaper than buying sports drinks, but does the job. Headaches, "fuzziness" and nausea are clear indicators that things are going wrong. Camelbaks are ace, well worth the money, can even slide in ice packs to keep it cooler. I've never found it got in my way.