Paperwork awareness!

Mesterh

Paperwork do you do ALL of it?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Paperwork do you do ALL of it?

• Yes I know and record everything.
    • No I aint too sure.

It is possible to know your responsibilities to the public and employee's without bullshite forms, form filling does not and never will prevent accidents, all they do is cover your @rse should anything go wrong, which in my veiw is you looking after yourself not your employee.

Dean I don't think that necessarily true.

I certainly don't fill out all the paperwork just to cover myself.. it's all procedures and protocol that are in place to protect everybody, including employees, the public, property etc.

I see it as a duty of care to make sure everyone is protected, not just myself.

As for LOLER being a legal requirement the anser is YES.

I have just called the HSE Infoline on 0845 345 0055.

LOLER and recording LOLER inspections is a legal requirement, regardless of the number of employees under the Health and Safety at work act 1974.

the LOLER regulations are statutory provisions relating to this act.

Regarding risk assessments, it is a legal requirement to carry out a risk assessment and to record findings of a risk assessment if you have 5 or more employees. If you have less it is not a requirement although it is best practice and you must be able to proove that you have carried out a verbal risk assessment. This is tied in through the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations which are statutory provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

LOLER is seporate to this, and you must document findings of an independent thorough examination which must be carried out by a competent person.

This includes usage records.

So there you go, direct from the HSE mouth so to speak.

I also asked about legal requirements in knowing and being aware of the law and the lady told me that it is an employers responsibility to be aware of the law and to comply with all relevant and current legislation, and this is in connection with the management of health and safety at work regulations.

The HSE Infoline is a free service, and it can certainly put things into black and white for you.

Hope that helps.

Matt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt

You have in the last post answered what has been to'ing and fro'ing on the forum for the last twelve months.

Well done that man and in a simplistic way.

Now what about enforcement of this law :001_smile:

My Loler bill will be astronomical;

eg;

Landrover Tipper body

Landrover winch and wire

Tirfor winch and wire x 2

30 slings strops

d shackles x 8

pulley blocks x4

car jack x1

trolley jack x1

tow rope x 2

tractor 3 point

tractor loader

mewp

climbing gear

rigging gear

stump puller x 1

forklift attachment

and thats off the top of my head

Bit unfair comments there guys.

We have asked if loler is a legal requirement, we have had hundreds of opinions and no factual replies

We had a full thread on waste licenses, again hundreds of opinions and no definate answers.

If things are this confusing for two of the "requirements" then it's a little unfair to say people should research or go around with their heads in the sand.

Some of us want to know answers but no-one can come up with any. When and if they do, there's always another no brainer peice of legislation to supposedly adhere to..... or is there.

1. Is Loler a legal requirement Y/N

2. If a person knows chapter 8 like the back of his hand, is he still legally required to go on a course and get a ticket

3. Are we legally bound to create a written maintainence record ( maintainance of some equipment can be proved through receipts of parts ect, writing down you have done it doesn't mean it has been done)

It is possible to know your responsibilities to the public and employee's without bullshite forms, form filling does not and never will prevent accidents, all they do is cover your @rse should anything go wrong, which in my veiw is you looking after yourself not your employee.

I will look after my employee by sending him on all the courses he requires for him to know all these points for himself. I am at this moment filling in a prospectus form for him to start college in sept, to me that means more than filling in stupid and meaning less vibration records and equipment use records which are a product of the claim culture and the covering of @rses culture.

What we should have is this person should have been looking where he is going instead of falling off curbs forms.

There! it's out :001_smile:

You've got it right there, there are just too many unknown facts for my liking and too many conflictuing opinions.

I have had a little idea on how we may all be able to benefit but I would have to run it by Steve first.

Dean I don't think that necessarily true.

I certainly don't fill out all the paperwork just to cover myself.. it's all procedures and protocol that are in place to protect everybody, including employees, the public, property etc.

I see it as a duty of care to make sure everyone is protected, not just myself.

As for LOLER being a legal requirement the anser is YES.

I have just called the HSE Infoline on 0845 345 0055.

LOLER and recording LOLER inspections is a legal requirement, regardless of the number of employees under the Health and Safety at work act 1974.

the LOLER regulations are statutory provisions relating to this act.

Regarding risk assessments, it is a legal requirement to carry out a risk assessment and to record findings of a risk assessment if you have 5 or more employees. If you have less it is not a requirement although it is best practice and you must be able to proove that you have carried out a verbal risk assessment. This is tied in through the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations which are statutory provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

LOLER is seporate to this, and you must document findings of an independent thorough examination which must be carried out by a competent person.

This includes usage records.

So there you go, direct from the HSE mouth so to speak.

I also asked about legal requirements in knowing and being aware of the law and the lady told me that it is an employers responsibility to be aware of the law and to comply with all relevant and current legislation, and this is in connection with the management of health and safety at work regulations.

The HSE Infoline is a free service, and it can certainly put things into black and white for you.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Nice1 for taking the time to check all that out :thumbup1: interesting stuff but just one question where it says that LOLER is a legal requirement is that for everyone including sole traders who dont have employee climbers? I know it said regardless of the number of employees but I wasnt sure if that also meant sole traders etc.

Thanks to all for there positive comments:001_smile:

I still notice the low number of votes so I assume its either because

1 Just cba or not interested

2 I've worded options badly or there isnt enough

3 Some may not want to admit that they dont know in case they are liable for some reason.

If anyone has some negative comments but have positive answers to them (yes its easy to point out the problems in life but a lot harder to come up with a viable solutions) then just say so.

Thanks again :001_smile: