Greenmech quadchip 150 issues

mark_goldfinch

No more than blood heat, by the time it reaches 45-50C it is affected by oxidation which shortens its life. Straight hydraulic oil has few additives to combat deterioration.

Beg to differ :blushing:

"Oil operating temperature should not exceed 200° F. (93° C.) with a maximum of 180° F. (82° C.) generally

recommended. 120° F to 140° F. (50° C. to 60° C.) is generally considered the optimum system operating temperatures. High temperatures result in rapid oil deterioration and may point out a need for an oil cooler or a larger reservoir. The nearer to optimum temperature, the longer the service life of the oil and the hydraulic components. "

Mine split in the same place as yours with about 80 hours on the clock. The hydraulic oil/tank was getting hot as you are experiencing. Greenmech fitted a new tank and also installed a small radiator for the hydraulic oil just in front of the engine radiator. No problems since.

Hi Greg yeah spoke to them today and they are going todo the same thing. Problem solved then hopefully.

Beg to differ :blushing:

"Oil operating temperature should not exceed 200° F. (93° C.) with a maximum of 180° F. (82° C.) generally

recommended. 120° F to 140° F. (50° C. to 60° C.) is generally considered the optimum system operating temperatures. High temperatures result in rapid oil deterioration and may point out a need for an oil cooler or a larger reservoir. The nearer to optimum temperature, the longer the service life of the oil and the hydraulic components. "

No problem. Yes my figure is the bottom of the range but not only is oxidation an issue (and you are probably right it doesn't become a big issue till 82C but by then you will burn yourself on the spool block on my older tractors) but the viscosity has fallen away. I'm not sure what a centistoke feels like but on straight iso32 hydrotip by 100C the viscosity has fallen to 5 centistokes and the optimum range is between 16 and 40, 40 is somwhere around 43C. Hot oil definitely causes a lot more wear to the spool.

It can be bad to run too cool. I have had a couple of experiences (once long ago on a transaw and more recently on a jensen A340 feed pump) where the machine was put straight into work from below freezing cold and the cavitation destroyed the ( possibly ailing) pump in seconds.

No problem. Yes my figure is the bottom of the range but not only is oxidation an issue (and you are probably right it doesn't become a big issue till 82C but by then you will burn yourself on the spool block on my older tractors) but the viscosity has fallen away. I'm not sure what a centistoke feels like but on straight iso32 hydrotip by 100C the viscosity has fallen to 5 centistokes and the optimum range is between 16 and 40, 40 is somwhere around 43C. Hot oil definitely causes a lot more wear to the spool.

It can be bad to run too cool. I have had a couple of experiences (once long ago on a transaw and more recently on a jensen A340 feed pump) where the machine was put straight into work from below freezing cold and the cavitation destroyed the ( possibly ailing) pump in seconds.

As you say,there is an optimum range,upper and lower,where the oil viscocosity is low enough not to allow metal/metal in the spool but high enough to not overstress the system as a whole.