Robinia pseudoacacia. Pollard?

samwise

Hi 2 all of you, this is my first post on this fine website!

Just wondered if anyone could let me know how well False acacia responds to pollarding/pruning? And how long a Robinia is likely to live(yes i know it'll be a ball park figure but any idea would be appreciated).

Asking as i have a couple of big'ns in me garden(50ft plus) which i want to try to tidy up, i've only worked on one before and that was a ground level prune.

Any help is helpful.

cheers.

Edited by Monkey-D
spelling

Worked on an avenue of acacia pollards that we used to do a few for the council that where on a 3 year cycle i seem to remember the regrowth was healthy.

The trunks and roots where not though i remember a few falling over due to rot probably the result of being contained and roots dieing back.

When target pruned(proper pruning!)they usually get quite heavy dormant bud burst from my experience.

Edited by MattyF

They can be pollarded but i would advise against that as the trees are mature now.

If all you want to do is tidy them up then give tem a crown clean. They do respond well to proper pruning, but only do it if they need it.

Are we talking about Pollarding, Re-Pollarding or ‘Topping’? If your pollarding it then I assume it’s been Pollarded before, if that’s the case I’d say carry on with that regime.

If the tree has never been ‘Pollarded’, then we’re talking about topping, which will produce a mass of long, vertical re-growth which will look a bit naff! However, its still better than removing the tree, plus there is the added bonus of going back in three years and pollarding it. :001_smile:

Surely they look an eyesore pollarded?

I've seen them maintained as small ornamental pollards, they look good like that and respond well.

If its a mature tree thats not been worked on before like samwise seems to imply, then high pollarding/topping is the wrong way to go.

If there is nothing wrong with the tree then leave em alone, if its an asthetics thing then just do some formative pruning and dead wooding.

They havn't been pollarded before, maybe a daaaaam good clean out then and hope for the best, must admit i only asked about pollarding as my father likes the idea, i on the other hand, am not so keen on the look of a pollarded tree at the best of times,even less so when i have to look out of my bedroom window at the offending specimen! God knows how old they are tho, cant remmember when the species was first introduced?!

Smells lovely when it's burning tho, hmmm i feel another ground level prune coming on!!! mwahaha:sneaky2:

cheers for all the advice guys!