Chainsaw milling a big oak (6ft diameter)

Rob D

It's a good point and I will be getting some quarter bits out of it but half is going to become a large chainsaw carving... sorry Bob meant to call you the other day but got side tracked :blushing:

not to worry it was only a question about Aspen but i think its all been sorted. spent ages on the phone with Eddie, and we seem to have done a deal with Carrs. :biggrin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Log of that diameter and cleaness (excepting the branch on one side), it seems a shame not to quarter saw it. You would still end up with QS boards almost 3ft wide. I'm off to see a very large elm tomorrow (though a measly 5ft really) and my plan to deal with it is chainmill a top slab off, then one board. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat.

Repeat on all sides until you have a squared length (with rounded corners) 42 inches in width (the throat on a 50 inch bar). Halve the log with the chainsaw mill, then ratchet strap up. Rotate 90 degrees, halve again (making sure to move the ratchets when needed) and you're left with four lovely quarters ready for resawing.

Jonathan

Log of that diameter and cleaness (excepting the branch on one side), it seems a shame not to quarter saw it. You would still end up with QS boards almost 3ft wide. I'm off to see a very large elm tomorrow (though a measly 5ft really) and my plan to deal with it is chainmill a top slab off, then one board. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat.

Repeat on all sides until you have a squared length (with rounded corners) 42 inches in width (the throat on a 50 inch bar). Halve the log with the chainsaw mill, then ratchet strap up. Rotate 90 degrees, halve again (making sure to move the ratchets when needed) and you're left with four lovely quarters ready for resawing.

Jonathan

I think I will be able to pick half the log and do this but have already committed the other half of it... but it would be great to have a couple of 3ft wide quarter sawn boards!

not to worry it was only a question about Aspen but i think its all been sorted. spent ages on the phone with Eddie, and we seem to have done a deal with Carrs. :biggrin:

Good stuff - best to e-mail me Bob as I am useless on answering phone at the mo!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...