Looking for cord? Look no further!!!

timberbear

The woodlands are on the northern edge of Cardiff. Very steep sided. No extraction routes and are Sssi. The area was last worked in the early fifties. The idea is to thin 30% which includes creating ten very large coups the rest made up with halo thinning. The scheme runs for five years and this is our second year on it. It will be great to see the regeneration when it happens. It is a shame about the wood being left, but there again it's more important to enhance the diversity and secure the longevity of the woodland. We were lucky enough to work there in the snow! Now pulled out due to nesting season. It was great to run a big crew up there, the camaraderie was brill and a great place for our new chainsaw operators to learn how to remove hangers!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds fantastic. Also a good size of tree to cut their teeth on. Bit deadly for falling over by the looks.

Took a good few tumbles myself! Greasy as hell before and after the snow. The worst part was walking back through all the brash which was simply cut into the ground. We would try and work in lines, felling down hill so the guy below would buck and sned before sending his tree down the line. It was good to see the young blood full of confidence and brawn fighting with a 60ft hung up tree then returning pale and tired at the end of the day!

get skyline in leave brash for habitat and ill stop moaning when timber is used for what it was grown for andnot wasted. we have invested in skylining and yet still wildlife trusts take the cheapest quotes to leave timber or trash sssi sites with traditional forestry machinery

habitat .

shabitat

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

get skyline in leave brash for habitat and ill stop moaning when timber is used for what it was grown for andnot wasted. we have invested in skylining and yet still wildlife trusts take the cheapest quotes to leave timber or trash sssi sites with traditional forestry machinery

habitat .

shabitat

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

brash has only limited bio value, very limited indeed, I agree on the other points though

What a perfect example of why this country is bankrupt. Paying God knows how much to cut to waste under a scheme doubtless administered by countless quangos at a similar cost.

Is this really the best the UK has to offer for woodland management?? Would the last person to leave the country turn out the lights.. Oh; I forgot they'll be going out anyway as we can't even manage our long term energy supplies.

What a sorry, sorry state to be in for a nation that built an empire.

Well we could always send it to biomass , that will keep the lights on! I think the biggest waste of timber is bio mass! If you look at a lot of our over managed woodlands there's not a single piece of timber on the deck and not a single beetle for the birds to feed on. At least doing things this way will compensate for what's going on else ware!

If the habitat they are aiming to recreate is the species diversity of a managed woodland rather than just leaving totally alone at least harvest some of the wood otherwise it is just seems crazy doing it imo.

There may be people living in fuel poverty probably only miles from were stuff like this going on.... :thumbdown:

Could the money not be spent better to benefit both the local community as well as the wildlife?