Parkrun

Rupe

Sounds an interesting course CM :biggrin:

My nearest is on the Town Moor next to Newcastle city centre, so it gets a bit hectic with over 400 running most weeks.

There are a few different courses in the area, so think I'll do a bit of parkrun tourism next time and check out the run at Whitley Bay which isn't so crowded.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

i dont have a parkrun venue close to me so set up my own 5k route instead and created a club.

3 weeks in have 20 members!

parkrun wanted 3grand to set up a pukker one! you can guess my reaction to that...second word was off!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

• 4 weeks later...
i dont have a parkrun venue close to me so set up my own 5k route instead and created a club.

3 weeks in have 20 members!

parkrun wanted 3grand to set up a pukker one! you can guess my reaction to that...second word was off!

Thats a lot of money seeing as its free to run. How would you be expected to get any money back!!

Thats a lot of money seeing as its free to run. How would you be expected to get any money back!!

i guess you can apply for funding from local government or generous local companies but i didnt want the hassle or having to deal with that volume of ppl attending the event...health safety b.s.

now have 30 members and my pb is down to 19:42!

and a friend has helped out in making a website too, not quite finished but well on the way!

http://sellarsbridgestriders.co.uk

i guess you can apply for funding from local government or generous local companies but i didnt want the hassle or having to deal with that volume of ppl attending the event...health safety b.s.

now have 30 members and my pb is down to 19:42!

and a friend has helped out in making a website too, not quite finished but well on the way!

Sellars Bridge Striders

Fair play on organising your own event. :thumbup:

I thought the idea was to run 5k not pay 3k - madness!

I am a great fan of parkrun, and I have to say (in their defence) I never noticed any heath and safety b.s. whatsoever (and believe me, I love exposing h+s b.s. wherever I find it) :001_smile:

As an organiser of you own event though, aren't you more exposed to h+s obligations?

Theres loads of hoops to jump through for a Parkrun such as requiring marshalls etc. As a participant its good you dont see the hardwork behind the scenes.

As mine is a small group, its much easier to manage and it is made clear its a social group not an organised event.

I have just finished a training course with Uk athletics and once crb checks are done im an official club with free 3rd party insurance on the back of run england.

So far all its cost me is a few pints for my mate thats done the website and £4 to register the URL!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Theres loads of hoops to jump through for a Parkrun such as requiring marshalls etc. As a participant its good you dont see the hardwork behind the scenes.

As mine is a small group, its much easier to manage and it is made clear its a social group not an organised event.

I have just finished a training course with Uk athletics and once crb checks are done im an official club with free 3rd party insurance on the back of run england.

So far all its cost me is a few pints for my mate thats done the website and £4 to register the URL!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Most excellent fella!

I have to admit that organising public events isn't my 'field' but that doesn't seem too bad at all.

Really glad to see you just got off your arse and made it happen :thumbup1: