Anyone ever down rated a beavertail ?

gensetsteve

I need to collect about 3.5-4 tonne of sawn timber at a time. I would like to get 2.5 tonne ish on my ifor williams trailer and 1.5 on the bed of a beaver tail. If I buy a 4600kg gross truck and down plate to 3500kg I should be able to stay away from an operators licence ? The whole lot should weigh under 7 tonne.

I need to collect about 3.5-4 tonne of sawn timber at a time. I would like to get 2.5 tonne ish on my ifor williams trailer and 1.5 on the bed of a beaver tail. If I buy a 4600kg gross truck and down plate to 3500kg I should be able to stay away from an operators licence ? The whole lot should weigh under 7 tonne.

I think the problem you might have is finding a 4600kg truck that once down plated will have a payload of anywhere near 1.5T.

I know it's slightly different, but the Iveco daily van I used to drive was a downplated 5.5T and it had a payload of about 800kg. I'd not have though the flimsy van sides and roof would make that much difference weight wise.

800kg would be ok as long as it will tow 3500kg of trailer inc load. Also with better chassis if bed was overloaded it would not show. And technically would not be unsafe although not playing by the rules. The truck should also come with tacho. I am not sure if they are going to change the rules soon about towing with commercial vehicle.

800kg would be ok as long as it will tow 3500kg of trailer inc load. Also with better chassis if bed was overloaded it would not show. And technically would not be unsafe although not playing by the rules. The truck should also come with tacho. I am not sure if they are going to change the rules soon about towing with commercial vehicle.

The iveco did carry weight well and towed fantastically - fully loaded and with 3.5T behind it it still went at least as well as the transit without the trailer.

We put a 2.5T mini digger in the back of the van once, only to move across a site, and if the back doors would have shut you'd not have known there was anywhere near that much weight in it.

The iveco did carry weight well and towed fantastically - fully loaded and with 3.5T behind it it still went at least as well as the transit without the trailer.

We put a 2.5T mini digger in the back of the van once, only to move across a site, and if the back doors would have shut you'd not have known there was anywhere near that much weight in it.

I will have to do more research. I already have the ideal trailer and have seen some well made merc 814 for a couple of grand. 5k would buy something to go into London with. The 3.5 tonne stuff is no good as it only tows 2000kg. I would imagine a twin axle helps with the towing as well.

Both the Iveco 35 and canter fusio tow 3.5 tonnes. Modern Transits are limited to 2.5 or 2.8 depending on build.

What other chassis cabs will tow 3.5?

I found specs for a 3500kg gross canter which can go 7000kg gross train but I think the small iveco does 2800kg towing.

I found specs for a 3500kg gross canter which can go 7000kg gross train but I think the small iveco does 2800kg towing.

http://www.iveco-trucks.co.uk/pdf/daily_van/spec/daily2.pdf

35c12 seems to pull 3.5 and have a payload of up to 1170kg for non tipper

Whoops, that's the vans,

http://web.iveco.com/uk/collections/technical_sheets/Documents/New_Daily/Chassis_cab/N.Daily%2035C15,17,21%20Chassis.Cab.pdf

Still 3.5 towing and up to 1325 kg with a lightweight non tipping body

Edited by openspaceman

http://www.iveco-trucks.co.uk/pdf/daily_van/spec/daily2.pdf

35c12 seems to pull 3.5 and have a payload of up to 1170kg for non tipper

Whoops, that's the vans,

http://web.iveco.com/uk/collections/technical_sheets/Documents/New_Daily/Chassis_cab/N.Daily%2035C15,17,21%20Chassis.Cab.pdf

Still 3.5 towing and up to 1325 kg with a lightweight non tipping body

Thats a goer as well