It's easy to get caught up in work!

Stephen Blair

Aye,so true as an analogy, My daughter is 18 next month,I have been separated from my wife 7 years now,the wife & I get on just fine,& still spend the odd weekend together.

My daughter has a busy life,what with trying to get to university,( nearly sorted),working in the evenings,& seeing freinds.

I dont get to realy see her as much as we both want,it's easy to let time just slip by without sorting out the important things because your tired/stressed/or things just wont line up.

I didnt have much time for my parents either,but they got ill this winter & I have jumped in & neglected my work to a great extent to be there 24/7 as a priority.

The difference this has made for my parents recovery,& the chance for them having a good summer together is profound.

Should be a holistic family commitment on my part,we can all learn from this.

Top post with the link.:thumbup1:

Blimming eck!!!! Just gulped when reading that. Spend loads of time with the kids, but they would love more. Impossible to justify not spending more time with them.

Id say this has just dumped arbtalk out the window for many this weekend..... haha.

What made you search for that steve?

Shall be thinking about this story everyday from now, thanks for the kick up the backside. Going to reserve a table at mcdonalds now!!!!!:thumbup1:

I wish I had not read that Stephen, because I am guilty on 5 counts.

My 3 daughters since the 80's when I worked on large farms.

And my 2 grandchildren who currently live with us.

And I should ask for another crime to be taken into consideration, the neglect of my very patient, very lovely wife.

I will probably keep offending though.

Blimey, wish I earned $50 an hour !

I don't see anywhere near enough of my boys since we decided to up sticks and move the family out of London to the sticks.

Staying in London during the week (5am start on a Monday) is the sacrifice we are all making for the boys and wife to have a nice house, better school and to be nearer to their extended family.

It seems to be working in terms the wife coping alone during the week, but I'm starting to ponder (after 18 months) what effect this will have on the boys long term with dad not being at home and barking at them occasionally.

My highlight of the week is getting home on a Friday afternoon to pick them up from school and then have 2 days & three nights with them as the focus.

I've started working late in the office during the week toward earning the flexi time to be able to leave early enough on a Friday to get home in time. It's not a chore, (i'm sad enough to actually love my job) if I could, I'd work 10 hours a day to cut the working week to 4 days. I have enough leave to do that (having accrued 28 years of leave entitlement) but those in charge feel it would impinge on how I run the team :001_rolleyes: from my perspective it wouldn't as I have a really good team that work fine without being spoon fed. Something I should try and negotiate on perhaps.

Good post Stevie, made me stop & think.

It is very easy to start justifying to wives and family etc, that the reason we work is for this house, that car, that holiday, the kids bikes, but if you speak to kids/families that have lost a loved one at young age, they would hand you back that bike in a flash to see their pop again.

I remember dong a big job when I was starting out in 1996. Managed to get a job working for local factory pruning back the trees and some maintnenance. When we'd finished I said to chap 'you've done well in life,'

His response was seven days a week... When i spoke to his wife at the office she said, its a shame really, all this and yet we do not see him as he doesnt return home till late every night. Even sundays'

I looked at his wealth and thought wouldnt mind all that though!!! But its true what they say, you only get out what you put in. So work hard (possibly) have more money.

However, spend as much time with your kids as you can and it will be equally rewarding. Mine are asleep at minute. But every minute is time missed watching them grow up.

Of course there needs to be consideration for everything in moderation, as they need elelments of food shelter provision but certainly makes you think!

Again, good find steve!

Blimey, wish I earned $50 an hour !

I don't see anywhere near enough of my boys since we decided to up sticks and move the family out of London to the sticks.

Staying in London during the week (5am start on a Monday) is the sacrifice we are all making for the boys and wife to have a nice house, better school and to be nearer to their extended family.

It seems to be working in terms the wife coping alone during the week, but I'm starting to ponder (after 18 months) what effect this will have on the boys long term with dad not being at home and barking at them occasionally.

My highlight of the week is getting home on a Friday afternoon to pick them up from school and then have 2 days & three nights with them as the focus.

I've started working late in the office during the week toward earning the flexi time to be able to leave early enough on a Friday to get home in time. It's not a chore, (i'm sad enough to actually love my job) if I could, I'd work 10 hours a day to cut the working week to 4 days. I have enough leave to do that (having accrued 28 years of leave entitlement) but those in charge feel it would impinge on how I run the team :001_rolleyes: from my perspective it wouldn't as I have a really good team that work fine without being spoon fed. Something I should try and negotiate on perhaps.

Good post Stevie, made me stop & think.

Remember speaking to you about this at pest seminar in london, I always looked on in ore at the pics you have of you out with the boys climbing trees and fungi finds.

If a situation such as yours arose, and the reason for moving was for their benefit or quality of life, and hearing you say how at the weekends you spend every waking minute with them then its about that compromise isnt it.

If you went home, went the pub friday to see your old mates and then played football saturday afternoon, and golf sunday morning, and went out for dinner on sunday to spend time with kids then you would know you need to redress it.

The bit that sprung to mind then was if, god forbid, something happened to you, would the corporation replace you in a flash?

Push for that four day week. Look at things you would need to implement at work to enable it to be accepted by gaffers and present it to them proprerly.

Sounds like it was all ready at the back of the mind so go for it David