ITBS syndrome

nz paul

Anyone had this?

I was diagnosed a while back and have had physio,acupuncture and done some stretches i have found online but doesn't seem to be getting better,if anything getting worse.

Originally was from running but am finding it's affecting me when i'm on my gaffs for to long and walking up and down steep ground.

Anyone got any help,experience or ideas?.

Thanks

Paul.

Posted this in the employment section by mistake so have re posted it here for hopefully more responses.

Hello Chap,

I had this in 2011 during the Paris-Brest-Paris 1225km cycle race during the final 300km.

I NEVER want to experience such pain again.

I finished the event in 62hrs but couldn't walk properly afterwards for a week.

Mine was caused by the right pedal cleat being not perfectly aligned.

Yours, is likely to be the same.

OBVIOUSLY I'm no doctor but my diagnosis is...

Your gaffs are putting your knee out of alignment causing your tendon to rub on the bone.

Cure...don't climb with gaffs.

I changed my pedals to ones with more 'float' so my leg is less fixed to the pedal.

I would suggest changing gaffs to others with more support BUT...now I'm well out of my depth.

I really feel for you but its like tendonitus, rest seems to be the best cure and changing working practices.

Regards

Ty

Hello Chap,

I had this in 2011 during the Paris-Brest-Paris 1225km cycle race during the final 300km.

I NEVER want to experience such pain again.

I finished the event in 62hrs but couldn't walk properly afterwards for a week.

Mine was caused by the right pedal cleat being not perfectly aligned.

Yours, is likely to be the same.

OBVIOUSLY I'm no doctor but my diagnosis is...

Your gaffs are putting your knee out of alignment causing your tendon to rub on the bone.

Cure...don't climb with gaffs.

I changed my pedals to ones with more 'float' so my leg is less fixed to the pedal.

I would suggest changing gaffs to others with more support BUT...now I'm well out of my depth.

I really feel for you but its like tendonitus, rest seems to be the best cure and changing working practices.

Regards

Ty

Amazing cycle race mate,ive read it happens to alot of runners and riders etc..

I got some hew gaffs a few months back and seem to be very good, unfortunately the contract im on is pretty much all take downs,wether it be dismantle winch or fell so pretty much need them on for 99 percent of work.

Rest sounds nice but in reality can't happen at the moment,and i hear you about the pain it first started playing rugby then went on to every time i ran almost crippling when it comes on and now has got into my work so will have to seriously get it sorted!.

Yes, I suffer from it. Not great, because I have to run a lot in my other line of work.

I've had it for over 2 years and in that time I've seen 2 physios and a Level 5 Sports Massage Therapist - the latter was the only one who's helped really. I use the pigeon pose stretch:

pigeoncomposite.jpg

I found using a roller on the part of my leg between the hip joint and the knee did little other than hurt. Using it up higher, on the very top of the band (where it's got more give) does help a little though.