Husqvarna cylinder

johnny77

Hi all. I have a Husqvarna 450e approx 1 year old that I use for firewood.

Today I was cutting and there was a wierd 'popping' noise and the saw stopped. The spark plug was no longer in the cylinder and the cylinder threads are partially stripped.. Is it possible that the plug was forced out or might it have worked loose?

Either way it is not good as the plug now only partially tightens then comes loose again - is it possible to retap the threads (if so can you recommend where to buy the kit) or will it need a new cylinder (again where is good to buy from).

Prior to this happening I did notice that the saw did not seem to idle an usual and frequently cut out. Not sure if that was related.

Any help/advise appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all. I have a Husqvarna 450e approx 1 year old that I use for firewood.

Today I was cutting and there was a wierd 'popping' noise and the saw stopped. The spark plug was no longer in the cylinder and the cylinder threads are partially stripped.. Is it possible that the plug was forced out or might it have worked loose?

Either way it is not good as the plug now only partially tightens then comes loose again - is it possible to retap the threads (if so can you recommend where to buy the kit) or will it need a new cylinder (again where is good to buy from).

Prior to this happening I did notice that the saw did not seem to idle an usual and frequently cut out. Not sure if that was related.

Any help/advise appreciated.

Thanks

The plug was probably loose and when it got to half way out - probably blew out under compression.

A number of options - you can get oversize sparkplugs and re-tap to a larger thread. Not really a long term option as I have only ever seen Chinese plugs!

You can helicoil it but don't like this as they can work loose and you can melt the plug through poor conduction of heat.

Aluminium insert - one option but have had these blow out after a month or two.

Steel insert - my favoured option as they are strong and once in, are a decent repair - you will need to fix them in with a high performance epoxy or bearing lock compound but the repair should last.

A new P&C is probably £200+ or Chinese - £70 but may give long term issues on quality

I do not like to disagree with Spud, but I have never had any issue with Helicoil.

It is the standard spark plug thread repair method and easy to do.

It makes a much stronger thread than before as it has a larger contact area with the aluminium, and the steel plug now screws into a steel thread every time it is removed.

Any good chainsaw repair shop should be able to do it.

I've got to say that I have never used the steel insert method spud is on about.

But I also highly go with the helicoil option. If its doe properly it will last. I've used helicoils for various things before and they have never let me down.

Not that spuds steel insert isn't good I've just never used it.

My reticence of helicoils for spark plugs comes from many years ago when I had one on a Yamaha FS1E - yeah, I am that old:001_rolleyes: It was melting sparkplugs -they were coming out like lumps of coal because the helicoil had poor heat transfer to the cylinder.

It may have just been a bad job but it put me off them - don't worry Barrie - we are still buddies:lol: You haven't pissed me off:001_tt2:

I have used EZLOK before - you ream out the original hole, retap it oversize and then put in the insert - they are nice and strong and won't come out with the plug when it is pulled out in the future! A strong solid repair!

Sounds like others have had better experiences then mine so take your pick!

You will find lots of kits on ebay - I have avoided the aluminium insert ones after I had one blow out - the steel ones are solid and strong!