Westwood t2000

colwoodlandcare

One of my customers has a Westwood with a vtwin 20hp Briggs n Stratton. It's sat around for 2-3 years not being used.

I've put a battery on it and it turns 3/4 then stops. If you take the spark plugs out it spins as it should. If you put the spark plug in the left one its still spins but if you just have a plug in the right it only turns 3/4 again.

Is this the valves that need adjusting?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Eddie is on the right tracks with the valves.

Whip off the RH rocker cover and check the valve gear. You may just find that the exhaust rocker post has come undone and so the exhaust valve may not be opening.

If it was the valves it wouldnt turn over with the plugs out either! Check that the plugs are not too long a reach!

As a few others have said it sounds like valves not working correctly. There was a fault with some of the bigger single cylinder (16hp+) b&s engines that required the exaust valve to be adusted so as to be permanently opened slightly so as to relieve compression slightly because the starters were not man enough to turn them over. I'l see if I can find the service sheet we were sent tomoro. Might be worth looking on the web for same info.