SRT Q & A's Thread

Sorry, Adam, but I'm with Al on this one. The maillon is strong and safe, and midline attachable. I use it all the time, in many different ways and trust it, once tightened, as much as I trust the single nut that is used to hold on my truck's steering wheel, that keeps it from falling off. :001_tongue:

David

Dave, what do you think of using the "bunny ears" knot with a carabiner vs. the maillon?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you might be right on the quickness but the Prussic will hold on each leg when attached to the ring, there for if anything was to happen to one of them then the other would still hold!! Unfortunately not possible with a Blake's hitch mate :)

Can't really see what would happen to it to cause a failure of a one eye but fair does, I don't like the idea of steel malions being loaded like that as it's not cross loading but flexing against the trunk something it's not been rated for.

Can't really see what would happen to it to cause a failure of a one eye but fair does, I don't like the idea of steel malions being loaded like that as it's not cross loading but flexing against the trunk something it's not been rated for.

Totally agree with you on that mate :)

Adam, can you talk me through that one...

I take it you still have to thread the length of the tail through the green ring? I get the 6 wrap prussic to cinch to the stem is the not with crab just there as a stopper?

Its an easier way to attach too rather than the need to tie a alpine and a steel crab or malion.

Sorry, Adam, but I'm with Al on this one. The maillon is strong and safe, and midline attachable. I use it all the time, in many different ways and trust it, once tightened, as much as I trust the single nut that is used to hold on my truck's steering wheel, that keeps it from falling off. :001_tongue:

David

That's two against one Adam. Makes us the winners!

Hahaha!

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Dave, what do you think of using the "bunny ears" knot with a carabiner vs. the maillon?

Well, the way I use the Maillon fits my needs very well. Double loop knots with a carabiner can be good or less so dependent on the knot used and its orientation.

As far as the side loading strength of a Maillon goes, as long as you use the right size and close it properly, in my experience, the rope will always break first. Maillons are painfully slow when compared to a carabiner, but they are strong.

David

Assuming you mean an Alpine Butterfly, I see no problem.

Just be careful on a skinny TIP because the carabiner spine could be stressed against the tree.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Think he means midline bunny ears figure of 8 knot with a steel biner to captivate the other side of the line.. Quicker to clip and un clip than the maillon and less damage to the trunk on trees to be retained. Those maillons mash smooth/soft barked trees

Think he means midline bunny ears figure of 8 knot with a steel biner to captivate the other side of the line.. Quicker to clip and un clip than the maillon and less damage to the trunk on trees to be retained. Those maillons mash smooth/soft barked trees

Oh I see. I was guessing at an Alpine Butterfly.

I've never seen my Maillon damage the tree.

:thumbup1: