SRT Q & A's Thread

Same knot, tied a bit differently: Rock Climbing Knot: Double Figure Eight (Bunny Ears)

Dave, I haven't had any issues with the loops becoming distorted. The only worry I have is the carabiner may become misoriented during remote setting of this tie off. It hasn't happened yet, and once it's cinched up the carabiner doesn't move much, if at all, but I always give it a sharp eye before putting weight on it after initial installation.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think a Blake's would be fine. carrying around an extra Prussic isn't a big deal though. I have also just marlin spiked the line and clipped into that. It is not adjustable though and therefore can be a bit awkward.

Probably the most versatile extra tool for me these days. Its a false redirect, temporary connection to the rope for coming back through redirects, used to lower myself back across from redirects far apart when I don't use the horse knot (thanks for that one Kevin), and if you really get into trouble you can use it (dare I say it) DdRT with your tail. :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys i have a question or two regarding SRT.

I've been playing about with SRT for about 6 months with some good days and some days needing improvement.

question one: if i were to use a crotch from s branch as a redirect is there any good method of getting back through the crotch?

question two: if I've branched walked a limb to get to a crotch for redirect are there any good methods getting yourself back in from the limb on SRT?

cheers

Hi guys i have a question or two regarding SRT.

I've been playing about with SRT for about 6 months with some good days and some days needing improvement.

question one: if i were to use a crotch from s branch as a redirect is there any good method of getting back through the crotch?

question two: if I've branched walked a limb to get to a crotch for redirect are there any good methods getting yourself back in from the limb on SRT?

cheers

Hey bro,

There's are not great pictures but I'll try and explain best I can.

When using redirects always try and keep your angles on return as vertical as possible, last thing you want is to go through a crotch redirect at a tight angle. It will make an unpleasant and a dam hard return.

In this picture I've gone on a limb walk and dropped through the crotch, ignore the orange arrow for now! The pink arrow is pointing out the angle of return, although not to bad as I could easy get near it push my foot into the crotch and use my hand and foot ascender to push my way though.. Not great but it works. The other option if available would be to put in a false redirect (sling/bina) somewhere directly above wher you want to drop through. This is where the orange arrow is pointing.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641015.086441.jpg.0387c0bfa2c8f712bce6be3fb0c08f60.jpg

Now I have place a false redirect in I can now descend into the crotch and come back through with any struggle at all.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641352.096779.jpg.5dd65b06839e6ac8a3c7c06bb55b179c.jpg

When using redirects natural or false, try and keep the angles flowing evenly through out the tree to make your return trip as easy as possible :)ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641519.654207.jpg.a117ef3198817f66322f334c9a1b3db8.jpg

You may find that if you base anchor then you may not have to return on the last decent so keep all the redirects natural and aligned for a nice smooth rope retrieval :)

If you go our on a limb walk and are struggling then try to remember to set this up before you go!!! It'll give you a nice mechanical advantage on the way back in :)ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641694.325350.jpg.e24c2b75921345c677abbf68e30ee0e0.jpg

Hope this helps you out a little mate :)

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641676.183910.jpg.73f82b8286f67c47eac1019c34fcb2e7.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1387641319.391921.jpg.011a9c6360688d631274782cbfc8c9ab.jpg

Good post Adam. Explains some important things to get your head around when starting out SRTWP. I prefer the red and purple.. Sometimes I will then descend. Tie off my tail and climb up the purple side and mirror the red side working on the way down. Can get a groundsman to tie and untie for you, if you trust them :)